It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: LED lights
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:50 am 
Team Axis

Randall Harris was hanging out at the marina Friday and I was checking out his boat. I found an option that my boat actually doesn't have. He has LED lights below the rubrail in the front of his boat. They look sick and I think they would work awesome, especially for the occasional late nights coming home from a midweek set.

Can they be added easily, or would a better route be tower mounted Rigids?

Post subject: Re: LED lights
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:41 am 
Team Axis

Your dealer can add them if you're talking about the white docking lights. Your boat is already wired for those lights since Axis uses one wiring harness for all their boats so it's easy for dealers to just plug n' play accessories ic customers add them later. Keep in mind, they are docking lights and made for loading or around the dock. Some states it's illegal to run in open water with those...even underwater LEDs are technically illegal to use when the boat is moving.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:00 am 
Team Axis

I have them on my boat. They do not work like "headlights", you can not tell they are on when you are driving in open water. They do work very well around the dock and when I am putting the boat on the trailer at night.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:08 am 
Team Axis

That's interesting. Maybe I'll just go with some tower mounted Rigid Industries, if I even decide I want something like this.
It's pretty rare when I come in when it's dark, but when I do I wish I could see everything, particularly in the slough I ride in, debris shows up in the evening when tide rolls in or out and I find myself running 5mph for 4-5 miles back to marina...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:40 am 
Team Axis

The consensus on tower lights facing forward AND driving is that they do nothing except add glare.

Post subject: LED lights
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:41 pm 
Team Axis

Yes, I have forward facing lights on the tower of my current boat and they do not help for driving. They are only good for lighting up an area around the boat for swimming or docking. And as someone mentioned above, they are probably illegal for driving. I believe you are only allowed to have the red/green nav light on while underway.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:16 pm 
Team Axis

elc wrote:
I have them on my boat. They do not work like "headlights", you can not tell they are on when you are driving in open water. They do work very well around the dock and when I am putting the boat on the trailer at night.

+1. They are called "docking" lights for a reason, 'cuz that's about all they're good for! Kidding aside, a friend of mine recommended a hand held spotlight for coming in through minefields at night. Haven't gotten one, yet, but I need to.