It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Looking for advice on A20
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:57 pm 

Hi guys

For the last several years my daughters and I have been wakeboarding behind an I/O. We've reached the point where the boat can no longer do everything we want it to do and I'm looking at upgrading. Also my girls got to wakesurf behind an Axis a few months back and loved it. I'd absolutely love to upgrade to an Axis A20, seems a well priced option for a family who could never justify a G23 or similar, is there anyone who could help me with the following?

- The real dimensions of the Axis A20 2019 (not the brochure ones)! I'm interested in knowing the height on trailer to the highest point, the length with and without the swim platform and the length from the tongue of the trailer to the back of the mudflaps. I have a tight fit on my garage right now, I think I'm going to have to modify my house to fit the boat in it and I want to know if it will be even possible!
- The gas consumption of the Axis A20 with the 350 hp engine?
- Does anyone have the saltwater option? We ride mainly on the salt as we live by the sea with a boat ramp at the end of our road. Our nearest fresh water is 2 hours drive away. I wash my boat and flush the engine every launch but any input on the saltwater option would be helpful.

Thanks so much!

P.S. Please don't tell my wife I'm on this forum :lol:

Post subject: Re: Looking for advice on A20
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:03 am 
Team Axis

In my experience the brochure measurements are accurate. I haven't seen anything from 19 A20 owners on the site, so you might get more results using brochure numbers or heading to a dealer. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:10 pm 
Boater

Not sure if this answers your question but we have a 2015 a20... wish we had gone with the t22 or t23. The bigger boat will perform better if you encounter any swells. Good luck with your boat search!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:47 am 
Team Axis

SaltWakeMan we have four years on our 16 A20 and its a great boat. Now with power wedge it might be even better. We garaged ours for the first two seasons and it fit in our garage that was 24' deep, tongue folded, swim platform on. This gave a couple inches grace against the back wall and the ability to sneak around the tongue. Ours with the tower folded fit easily under our 8' garage doors and by dumb luck we have 11' ceilings in our garage and over the winter I would keep the tower raised. So bottom to top is right around 11' if the '16 is anything close to the '19. The width just seems huge in a garage. You might sneak it into a single stall but it will be an inch maybe on each side. On the two stall side you could park your car but it was tight. I couldn't fit my truck and the boat in our two stall. Also don't forget that the guidepoles make it even wider.

Gas consumption wasn't bad at all. We would surf all weekend on a single tank. We would be all plug in play 550s in the rear, 400ish under the bow seats, a 950 bag on the bow cushions and then if we had 4-5 people then no wedge, 1-2 people then wedge. All this with the 1235 prop. I thought all the 2018+ year boats got the 409?

It was't asked but I will echo Rmilbour. Get the biggest boat you can. We have had a great time on our A20 but when you put 5-6 people on there the boats get small quick. We have an A24 that we are picking up in a couple of weeks. I am not saying go that far, but if we had originally gone with the A22 we likely wouldn't be buying a new boat now. The garage won out in our discussions as well. Maybe look at the A22 and see what the garage specs are without the platform. It might be close to the A20 with the platform.

Either way have fun. You are doing exactly what we did 4 years ago and couldn't be happier. You might be scared the first time out wakeboarding with all the ballast full. It got me pretty good since I hit it like I did our I/O.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:08 pm 

Walter17 wrote:
Either way have fun. You are doing exactly what we did 4 years ago and couldn't be happier. You might be scared the first time out wakeboarding with all the ballast full. It got me pretty good since I hit it like I did our I/O.

Thank you every one for your responses. Especially Walter17. Your post is very motivational. Our garage is going to be an issue. I just need to work out how much I need to chop out of the bit of the house in between the rear of the garage and the kitchen!

I suspect this may be a work in progress for a while.....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

Well if you are worried about being on the forum...wait until you start chopping on the garage! She is figure something is going on.. :)

Welcome to the forum...

I would look at the 22 and large size boats just to see all the options. The least sold model for most Axis dealers is probably the A20. Great boats but unless someone has a lake restriction they normally go up to a 22 or larger. With surfing taking over most waterways these days I am sure that your family will also look into surfing once you get a new Axis boat. With the 22 and 23 size boats you will never have a problem wakeboarding, surfing or taking a decent size group out on the water.

As for the flush i have seen a number of them installed on boats south of me. There is just an external hookup so you can flush the engine with fresh water after each use.

PS. I would leave the kitchen alone. Find a storage until close to the lake and just save gas and time by having a unit large enough that you can get it in and out fast.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:12 pm 
Team Axis

I can't say enough good things about my A22. I really like the roominess and it has been a wonderful family boat. We surf, wakeboard, ski, and tube. With no ballast the ski wake is great. It has been trouble-free and was really the right choice for our family. Bought it new in 2014, and at 5 years old last month (around 320 hours), it remains the perfect boat for our family.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:28 pm 
Team Axis

I have 4 years on my 15' A22 that is mainly in saltwater and it's still ion great shape.

Definitely get the salt package if you run in salt and a galvanized trailer.

You need to prep your boat for the slat before you even put it in salt.

Get corrosion block spray and grease. Pull apart all electrical fittings and spray it in them.

Corrosion block spray the engine, v drive, tranny, etc after each use.

Use salt away to spray wash and flush the boat.

Stay on top of maintenance and keep as much saltwater out of the boat as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:52 pm 

Thanks everyone - some good advice. We've been in saltwater for the last 10 years with our current boat with no problems.

Lots to think about.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:28 am 
Boater

Welcome. I had a 12 a22 and have purchased a 14 a24 and am counting the days. We keep our boat on a lift all summer with a canopy(cover on), but if it's not there, it sits in our driveway with the cover on. If you cannot fit it in the garage, are there options in the driveway?