It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Summer of newbies
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:55 am 
Site Admin

This summer I have spent most of my lake time teaching a wide range of new riders. 99% Surf.

From 8-65 years old. I have had my share of success and failure. I do account most of my failures to BEER consumption by the rider! HA!

For the younger riders I do have a kid size board and I have started pulling them from the side of the tower using one of the side mount knobs and making sure they are up in front of the wake.

For larger riders it is challenging because they are just large and it is hard for them to hold on. Ive tried to have them angle the surf towards the boat.

what are some of your best newbie tips to help riders?

Best tips for young, old, tall, skinny, big, small?

It can be a LONG day teaching but when someone gets it for the first time you know it is worth it!

Post subject: Re: Summer of newbies
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:49 am 
Team Axis

We definitely pull all newbs from the side of the tower (using a homemade contraption). I also put their rope a little shorter than we usually ride. I like to "surf into" the wave with a longer rope, but the shorter rope puts newbs into the meat of the wave right off the bat.

I have also stopped using the wedge for newbs. They seem to do better with a wave that isn't as steep.

Is there a particular point that your newbs are failing? If they are getting pulled over the board (i.e. can't hold on) that's because they are breaking at the waist. We tell people to "posture up" at that point of the pull, with hips forward and a nice straight back.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:27 am 
Site Admin

Good call. I do have one that is breaking at the waist.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:51 pm 
Team Axis

First thing is to get them up. Speed up very slowly while yelling at them to flip the board and ride it up in a squat

Second thing is to get in front of the wave- tell them to angle out to the side or pull forward on the rope

Third thing is now to get them on the wave and going along the wave instead of down it

Fourth is to get them to anticipate. Gotta start braking and accelerating before they think.

Fifth is to get them to make more subtle movements.

Sixth, if they can't do 30 seconds with slack in the rope at this point, we start working with foot placement on the board.

Seventh, once they can throw in the rope and surf a bit, we work with surfing in different locations on the wave. I'd guess the average is an hour of surfing to get to that point for someone of reasonable athletic ability. Longer for others and for the truly gifted less. I've had some people throw in the rope on their first pull. Amazing.