It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Surf Board for Bigger Guys
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:16 pm 
Team Axis

admin wrote:
r33pwrd wrote:
admin wrote:
Best goto big boy board is the inland red rocket or green room. I have had guys over 325lbs on the rocket. I am sure the larger doomswell will work also. For beginner big boys the red rocket has had the best results from my experience.
I agree but if you are a big athletic guy the red rocket will get boring fast... and for the record you can surf 400 plus on a red rocket

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This is true.. So for a big athletic guy what is the best bigger board? I have a need for 285lb rider that has wore out a rocket.

Get a Phase 5 Wire 60". I have a 57" and have a guy who's 305 who rides it no problem. The 60" would definitely work for 285. It's not a "big guy" board but it's very fast and responsive.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:19 am 
Team Axis

admin wrote:
r33pwrd wrote:
admin wrote:
Best goto big boy board is the inland red rocket or green room. I have had guys over 325lbs on the rocket. I am sure the larger doomswell will work also. For beginner big boys the red rocket has had the best results from my experience.
I agree but if you are a big athletic guy the red rocket will get boring fast... and for the record you can surf 400 plus on a red rocket

This is true.. So for a big athletic guy what is the best bigger board? I have a need for 285lb rider that has wore out a rocket.
Soulcraft all day long.. I have gone through 5 boards and once I bought the soulcraft I never ride anything else except my Victoria captain skim board that is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

What soul craft? Board name and size?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:30 pm 
Team Axis

admin wrote:
What soul craft? Board name and size?
Mine is a 4' 10 voodoo but call them and they will put you in a good board.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

Jeff at Soul craft suggested a 4.9 22.5 wide voodoo.. since you have a red rocket also is the soul craft faster and more aggressive? Can you slash the wake harder with the soul craft? When I see my buddy ride the rocket he is more or less just cruising nice and easy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:36 pm 
Team Axis

admin wrote:
Jeff at Soul craft suggested a 4.9 22.5 wide voodoo.. since you have a red rocket also is the soul craft faster and more aggressive? Can you slash the wake harder with the soul craft? When I see my buddy ride the rocket he is more or less just cruising nice and easy.
Everything is better with the soulcraft. It might not be faster but much small and much faster turning and responds to pumping much better.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:46 pm 
Team Axis

I tried the phase 5 hammerhead over the weekend and I couldn't get it to pearl (dip the tip). Great skim board for bigger guys. I am 230lbs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:35 am 
Team Axis

Somebody needs to start a national rental board rental like Netflix, rent it for the weekend/week.

Odd sizes (kids, guests, etc), and having to keep trying boards that cost 4-700+ is insane!

Finally found a board after 4 years I mostly like ... why does it have to be so difficult for manufacturers in large areas to demo the boards?

Leave a bunch at the local dealers to "rent" ... if the person bangs them up, charge a fee ... it's not hard to fix a chip and if it's a rental, who cares. Fix it, send it out for the next person to demo/rent. I'd rather spend a few bucks on a rental, try it for a week/weekend than spend 600 on a board and hate it.

Lots of good feedback here, but honestly, everyone's style, wake, preferences are different. I've tried someone's board who's the same weight, but our skim or surf style is just different.

Bigger guy = bigger board.

IMO, the more effort you put into the pump or "edge" the more speed you can get to keep up and use a smaller board. I'm 175 and able to use my kids board who weighs 50lbs less ... just more work for me. I get lazy, I'll use a wider board, just not as easy to lay off tricks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:34 pm 
Team Axis

I just purchase a few phase 5 boards.. the XB for my nephew he is 6 2 230 and its riding this board all day long. I though surf style was the way to go but from talking to the manufacture they said surf style is more work these skim boards with three fins are locked in.. take out the center and you can have the back end break free when you want.

I am amazed at how fast these boards are We also purchased a model x.. i have been through ronix, carbons etc. hyperlite shim( big board but a dog) check out PHASE 5 XB..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:33 pm 

buffaxis wrote:
hyperlite shim( big board but a dog)

I just moved away from my Hyperlite shim as well, best move i ever made. What a dog it was. Loves to pearl and catch rails too.

I am 6'5" 240lb, been surfing my whole life so I have struggled to find a board that floats me and allows me to progress. The inland surfer green room, red rocket and blue lake are great for big guys but limit your growth and will get boaring fast. Check out the Inland Surfer Air Series 139 Wakesurf Board 2016.
https://www.evo.com/outlet/wakesurf-boa ... board-2016
It's short at 4'7" but has a ton of volume in the tail so it planes well. It's still loose yet forgiving. Doesn't gouge the rail as easy as the others. Great board for big guys that still want to perform