It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bunk configuration on your lift?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:23 pm 

I just got a 2014 T22! I’m trying to get everything ready for summer. I just picked up a used lift to install in our dock. The bunks are not setup for and inboard, they are too short. I’ve already checked on getting the taller brackets that I need, but I’m not sure how setup the bunks to properly protect the rudder, prop, and skeg. Does anyone have any photos of how their lift is setup? How far apart do they need to be? Will one long bunk work or should I have two shorter ones? Any help in this would be much appreciated. If I don’t get this right, there could be major damage to the boat. Thanks again for any help or suggestions!
Glenn

Post subject: Re: Bunk configuration on your lift?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:56 am 
Team Axis

What I've always heard is take measurements from your trailer.

You'll definitely want different brackets. Is this on a suspended lift, or an air-tank lift? We have a front-mounted air tank lift, and it came with much taller support posts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:31 am 

It is an air-tank lift. I've already been on the phone with the local dealer for the lift I got and he is giving me some good advice. Getting 20" bunk brackets to get it up above the tank and frame. Will probably space the bunks to match up with the trailer as much as possible. It's going to be an interesting project!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:49 am 
Team Axis

It didn't take that long for the lift company to adjust to fit mine. I know they have practice, but I would think if you can ballpark it from the bunks, you can refine it from there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:49 am 
Team Axis

It's too much of a pain to post pics here now that Photobucket sucks. Here is a link that has some pics of my setup on my '14 T22.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php? ... ent=877328

My beams are 12' long. Any longer and they wouldn't touch at the bow.

Not sure why you need the extended brackets, just lower the hoist down far enough for your gorilla fin to clear.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:54 am 

Thanks! That makes sense. I guess I am concerned about pulling too far forward on the lift and hitting the prop, but if you set it up so that the prop can't come that far forward, problem solved! Thanks! Where did you get the plastic/rubber covering you have on your boards? Are the bunks 2x10's or 2x12's? Nice, simple and clean!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:47 am 
Team Axis

DocGlenn wrote:
Thanks! That makes sense. I guess I am concerned about pulling too far forward on the lift and hitting the prop, but if you set it up so that the prop can't come that far forward, problem solved! Thanks! Where did you get the plastic/rubber covering you have on your boards? Are the bunks 2x10's or 2x12's? Nice, simple and clean!

12' long bunks. The bunk covering is by GatorBak. I went with GB300. Great product, it is holding up very well and has tons of life left in it.

http://gatorbak.com/bunk-covers/lift-bunk-covers/

I was worried about the prop hitting the cross beam when I first set it all up, but there is really no chance of that happening. When pulling on, the hoist is lower in the water to ensure the skeg clears. I know how far to pull forward by lining up my guide pole with the gas fill. Even if I was pulling on and went too far forward, I wouldn't be raising up the hoist until the boat is in the correct position. After using it this way for four years, I have zero concerns, that is why I never put a piece of rubber or something on the cross beam to protect the prop. It just isn't an issue.