It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Carry a Knife and googles!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:53 am 
Boater

It finally happened yesterday :roll: , we wrapped the prop with the kids tube rope when we went to move the boat out away from the shore a bit as we were drifting in during lunch and chose not to drop anchor on the lake. Im always paranoid about this and had a friend right by the tube and assumed the rope was all up and in, not so much.

So I spent a few minutes trying to untangle it before realizing and deciding to drop anchor as we were getting dangerously close into the shallow area, should have done this first as our lake is rising and the water was much more clear at 30 feet deep vs close to the shore with brush and tulles. A huge thank you to a guy we never met on his new jet ski that towed us back out to deeper water and offered to go get my knife from the car on the other side of the lake. Lake perris, ca

Lessons learned, keep a knife in your boat so you can hack the rope up if needed.
A prop is way sharper then you think underwater
Googles would have been great!
I Got it untangled after about 25 minutes going down and up and unwrapping it. Surprisingly like 5 wraps and pressure can result in a lot of work. Thankfully the water is almost 70 here already

Hooked our brother jet skier up with some wake surf and wakeboard laps for his assistance and got to ride his gtr230! all in all a great day owning a boat and a lesson learned! :D

Post subject: Re: Carry a Knife and googles!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:15 pm 
Team Axis

I've had to take the swim before also. Goggles and a good knife are always in the glove box. I would recommend finding a good serrated fixed blade as the serrations tend to help get through tow-rope/ski-rope/braided lines better than non-serrated. YMMV

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

Only had to do this one time in my entire boating history.. What a pain! Good things to have in the boat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:04 pm 
Team Axis

Never happened to me but I've helped others with my mask and knife. Also, not just a knife...a floating knife.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:10 am 
Team Axis

Judders wrote:

Yup, gloves too. The $1 ones at Home Depot are fine, but that prop is sharp (so's the knife). It can take a lot of dives if you can't hold your breath very long. I once changed a prop underwater...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:22 am 
Team Axis

I was in what is normally reasonable water to see in but was pure river mud right after they closed our Spillway from relieving the river . Thank heaven for the post I read about what else needs to be in your prop kit. Even with the goggles it took 2 or three breathhold dives to calm down and get rid of the panic and just work. Could see 8”-14” snd getting down under that wedge then bottom of boat then to prop. When I got there I was ready to come back up .

Only went that day cause family in town and kids wanted to TUBE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:45 pm 
Team Axis

I also keep a waterproof flashlight (I think it's a Pelican brand) with the knife and goggles. Because neither float, I keep paracord lanyards on both that I cinch to my wrists.