It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Achieved a Life Long Goal Purchasing New Axis Boat!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:15 am 

Hello everyone,

My fiancé and I bought our first boat last weekend and we decided on a new 2017 Axis A22.

A little bit about me, I started wakeboarding back in 1999 when I was 11 years old and instantly fell in love with the sport. I've grown up riding boats with I/O engines, so a life long goal of mine has been to own a wakeboard boat. Lucky for me, my fiancé fell in love with wakeboarding/wakesurfing and supported the decision to buy a boat. We live Maine, so we wakeboard between end of April through late September.

We primarily plan to use the boat for wakeboarding but will also wakesurf.

I've attached pictures of the options and boat color. This was a leftover 2017 A22 and we managed to get 23% off MSRP which I thought was a pretty great deal.

I was hoping for some advice regarding boat ownership as this is my first boat purchase.
Is there anything I should be aware of as it relates to ownership costs that aren't directly apparent?

I was wondering If I should plan to buy extra weigh (6 X 50 lb wakeballast bags)

Am I missing any "must have" options or are there any specific upgrades I should do prior to putting it in the water this year?

I think the sound system is the only department where the boat is lacking since I only have the Sound Pack 1.

Does anyone have recommendations for what sound system I should get if i'm looking for a mid-volume size sound system. I was thinking of a pair of Wetsound Rev 8's and an amplifier?
Is it difficult to install a pair of tower speakers and an amp if you haven't done this previously?

I'll share pictures as soon as we go pick it up in spring!

Look forward to chatting with everyone and thank you to everyone for contributing to this forum!

Attachment:
File comment: Picture of Color Scheme
Color_AxisA22.jpg
Color_AxisA22.jpg [ 178.4 KiB | Viewed 23937 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Picture of included Options
Options_AxisA22.jpg
Options_AxisA22.jpg [ 367.14 KiB | Viewed 23937 times ]

Post subject: Re: Achieved a Life Long Goal Purchasing New Axis Boat!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:26 am 
Site Admin

Great looking boat.. Congrats.

You will need the little things depending on your state requirements.

throw cushion, fire extinguisher, life jackets for everyone on board(CGA), flag(depending on state).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:34 am 

Thank you!

I grew up wakeboarding on a 17ft I/O Glastron (2000-2006) before my parents bought a 2006 Sea Ray 205 Sport with a Tower (2006-2017).

For the sound, Would the SYN-DX Series Marine Amplifiers 4 Channel with a pair of Rev 10's or Rev 8's be sufficient and would you suggest installing yourself or having the dealer install a better option?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:03 am 
Boater

Need is such a funny word. That boat will wakeboard and surf great right off the trailer. You might want louder speakers or more weight in the nose. But then again you might be happy the way it is. I’d wait to get it in the water and you can get a feel for how it performs for you. And if you want to tweak from there you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:52 am 
Team Axis

Sweet boat man. I am in a similar situation like you. Boat my first I/O glastron a couple years ago. Added a tower. Started Wakeboarding. Then got rid of it and bought an A20. I have a 2017, so the interior and mechanicals are identical, basically. I bought my boat in October, put some wetsound icons 8's on and a htx 2 amp. I wasnt happy with the Icons, so i sent them back and bought rev 10's. I also bought a wetsounds sd2 from a guy on here to power those rev10 towers. If you wakeboard your going to want the rev 10s. IMO, if your going Rev, then either one pair of 10's or two pair of 8's. But most people will tell you one pair of 10's. Its cheaper, and sound quality is about the same. Im also adding the new wetsounds MC 1 headunit. I think the stock one is junk, and i came to that conclusion during the demo. The only other thing you'll need is ballast bags. Your boat comes with subfloor tanks, but also come plumbed with plug and play lines ready for additional bags to be hooked up. I added 750 pound bags to the rear lockers and a 400 pound bag under the bow cushion. Let us know if you need anything more advice. Im basically a newb too, but this "hobby" is addicting as hell. Be sure to join the Malibu Crew forum as well. There is usually alot more going on over there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:16 am 

Clayne100 - Need probably wasn't the right word, "nice to have" would have been more appropriate, but I know what you mean. I know it will produce a better wake then what I have been riding anyway. Thanks for your advice

As I read through some posts yesterday, it sounded like some people add more weight to the bow.

onewake09 -
Thank you taking the time to share your experience.
I think i'll go with 1 pair of Rev 10's and the SD2 amp

I have 2 smaller fly-high brand ballast bags and a tsunami pump that I used in the I/O, so i'll probably stick with that brand.

Ballast for rear lockers:
https://www.evo.com/fat-sacks/fly-high- ... t-bag-2008

Ballast for bow:
1. https://www.evo.com/fly-high-pro-x-seri ... t-bag-2007
OR
2. https://www.evo.com/fat-sacks/fly-high- ... allast-bag

Not sure how much ballast I want to run in the bow (guessing between 400-600lbs)

Thanks again for taking the time to respond, i'll join the Malibu forum as well (good looks)

Post subject: Achieved a Life Long Goal Purchasing New Axis Boat!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:12 pm 
Team Axis

WakeMaine207 wrote:
Clayne100 - Need probably wasn't the right word, "nice to have" would have been more appropriate, but I know what you mean. I know it will produce a better wake then what I have been riding anyway. Thanks for your advice

As I read through some posts yesterday, it sounded like some people add more weight to the bow.

onewake09 -

I have 2 smaller fly-high brand ballast bags and a tsunami pump that I used in the I/O, so i'll probably stick with that brand.

Ballast for bow:
OR

Not sure how much ballast I want to run in the bow (guessing between 400-600lbs)

Thanks again for taking the time to respond, i'll join the Malibu forum as well (good looks)

Make sure on the rear bags that they have two bottom ports and one top port for venting. I made the mistake and had to send them back. I ended up buying them from wakemakers.com, they are great to work with and they make custom bags to fit the lockers, very easy to install. I also use the tsunami pump and fill an extra bag on top of the bow cushions or in between the drivers seat and observer to help with the bow rise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:26 pm 

JohnnyK - Thank you for sharing that info and suggestion on website.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:34 pm 
Team Axis

Call up Ed at Board stop in Texas. Its where I got my bags for my boat. I paid 849 shipped for 750 rear bags and the bow bag. They are "fatsac" brand a great quality.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:13 pm 
Team Axis

WakeMaine207 wrote:

onewake09 -

Ballast for bow:
OR

For the rears I would use the Axis specific stepped bags, fly high and wakemakers both make them in a 550lb and 750lb, they are a direct plug&play and are stepped for a perfect fit. Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2016 AXIS A20....SOLD
2018 AXIS T22....CURRENT