It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Powered wedge?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:00 pm 
Team Axis

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to find anything on it. Just bought my first wake boat, a 17' A20. It was a dealer stock boat with 5 hours, so new. Has anyone heard of someone adding an actuator like the ones on the surf gate for the auto set wedge? I mean even if you just had a simple up/down switch on the dash that would be enough to fine tune it. I'm a pretty smart dude.I have my own machining and Fab business so I could easily make the hardware and brackets for mounting. I would also assume the main wedge bracket is the same for the power wedge right? You wouldnt even have to drill another hole in the hull as you can use the same hole that's already there for the auto set wedge switch. What are your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Powered wedge?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:18 pm 
Team Axis

onewake09 wrote:
I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to find anything on it. Just bought my first wake boat, a 17' A20. It was a dealer stock boat with 5 hours, so new. Has anyone heard of someone adding an actuator like the ones on the surf gate for the auto set wedge? I mean even if you just had a simple up/down switch on the dash that would be enough to fine tune it. I'm a pretty smart dude.I have my own machining and Fab business so I could easily make the hardware and brackets for mounting. I would also assume the main wedge bracket is the same for the power wedge right? You wouldnt even have to drill another hole in the hull as you can use the same hole that's already there for the auto set wedge switch. What are your thoughts?
I would go to you're dealer and look at some 18 boats with power wedge, I know of a person who added a 1st gen power wedge on a older A20 and ran it off a toggle switch.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2016 AXIS A20....SOLD
2018 AXIS T22....CURRENT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:06 am 
Team Axis

If you're on Instagram check this out

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRW1EWYAhIH ... y=jonnyrat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:01 pm 
Team Axis

Anything is possible with a few lenco tabs some tig welding and wiring

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:28 am 

Sounds like a project I'd look forward to watching. I do wonder what you'll feel different with your the power wedge vs the std manual. Obviously getting on plane but what else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:43 pm 
Team Axis

According to the Malibu guys you can adjust the shape of the wave depending on wedge position. I'm seriously considering giving it a go. Honestly my only reservation is drilling a hole in the hull to pass the wire through. It's a brand new a20. I believe I can even Fab up brackets that just bolt to the existing wedge bracket so no hurt in trying.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:13 pm 
Team Axis

The power wedge and free floating wedge have the exact same bolt pattern.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2016 AXIS A20....SOLD
2018 AXIS T22....CURRENT

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:20 pm 
Team Axis

If your boat was older I would say go for it. But a 2017 you could probably trade in for a left over 2018 at the end of next summer and save yourself the headache of reinventing the wheel.

I don't know the specifics of how the power wedge works but isn't it speed dependent and also has preset positions? This sounds like you will need to get a controller that the dealer may or may not sell you. If you have a dealer that is willing to sell you All the required components it would make it more tempting But if you are making everything yourself I don't think it would be worth it.

The fabrication of it is the easiest part. Making it work and the lost days on the water because of testing and tweeking would be a deal breaker for me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:24 am 
Team Axis

The wedge will not integrate with the boat systems on a pre 2018 Axis. You would have to righ up a momentary switch to bump it into position but you would have no preset capability.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:51 am 
Team Axis

Yeah Im aware of that. I would just a use a lenco LED position indicator for reference. If I do it, The plan would be to make it so it unbolts from the factory manual wedge bracket and I can return boat to stock if I were to sell it. Im think T22 in a few years anyway, wife permitting of couse.