It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Wet suit recomendations?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:53 am 

Wakesurfing central texas...ok, after this dang cold snap passes, when the air temp is back around 70, nice calm, sunny days....am still wanting to surf.

Lots of options listed on Amazon....3/2mm, shorty, full, boots, gloves, hoods...

Occurs to me the heater option that I thought so crazy back in June might be a great idea---know if this is a dealer installed option?

Any recommendations on types/thickness, or ones to avoid, greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Wet suit recomendations?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:04 pm 
Team Axis

Here in NW Arkansas, a long sleeve shorty works just fine for me to extend the season. I went with Xcel and am very happy with their product. The x-zip makes things really easy. I also have an O'neil psychofreak (1.5mm) heater top but have found that if it's cold enough for the heater top, I just go straight to the shorty. We just winterized last week..and the countdown begins..

And, yes, the dealer can install the heater option for you. Look around on the forum first though, I know some of the members on here did their own installs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:38 am 
Team Axis

I go from shorty to drysuit. Lake Belton get to 53 degrees at the coldest I've seen. A really good 3/2 wetsuit will work fine. ONLY look at wetsuits that have seams that say taped and sealed. NEVER buy a glued and stitched (aka: "flatlock") wetsuit...they suck in comparison and, in my opinion, are the cheap way out. Glues and stitched seams allow the cold water to immediately flush into the wetsuit making you cold for a while. The taped and sealed wetsuits DO NOT allow any flushing of water so you are much warmer and dryer inside even though it's a wetsuit. There's only 2 full wetsuits I would own, the Xcel 3/2 Infinity Drylock (I have their long sleeve shorty) or the O'Neil Psycho Freak 3.5/2.5. Drysuits are easier to get in and out of, you stay dry inside, and when you're resting between sets you come out of the drysuit dry and can just put on a light jacket and jeans easily. Plus, I just wear a breathable long sleeve Underamor top and boardshorts in my drysuit and I'm still hot inside it after only a few minutes of surfing. Drysuits though you need to be cautious not to rip the cuffs/seams on the wrists or ankles getting in or out. Multiple people can wear the same drysuit, wetsuits are not good to share because sizing is critical for a wetsuit to work, plus no one wants to get in a wetsuit that cold and wet already and that's kind of gross anyways. Texas Malibu can install the heater if you want.
http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/page/WW ... GOPnHi9LCQ

http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/wetsuit ... suits.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:30 pm 
Site Admin

I would do a taped suit also. I have done a few special orders on dry suits over the years and it seems like Oneil has been the go to brand for dry suits from all the special orders I have done in the past. I hate the cold so a drysuit is what I would go with.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:19 am 

Thanks for the tips guys! Looks like the freezing snap is behind us here at Belton....think I know what I want for Christmas now!