It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: What should I expect from this setup for wakesurfing.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:16 pm 
Team Axis

Searching the forums/web I see people putting ALOT of weight in their boats for wakesurfing. I'm amazed at how much these boats can handle. I know more is usually better but how will the wakesurfing wake be on my A22.

Its a non-gate 2012 A22 with stock 900 tanks plus 750 fly-highs in rear lockers and the mushroom shaped 900 under bow seating. It has the torque prop.

My wife and I are beginners but have been snowboarding for years and I can imagine us progressing quickly.

This is my first boat and I'm a little nervous that it does not have the surf-gate but the price seemed to reflect that and it put it down into my price range. Will I be fine with the ballast as-is while I do other upgrades (WS-420 is first on my list of upgrades) or should I plan on adding additional weight right off the bat?

Post subject: Re: What should I expect from this setup for wakesurfing.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:58 pm 
Team Axis

Should be able to surf well with that setup, especially if you have a few other friends out with ya on the boat.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:16 am 
Team Axis

When we started we had an extra 700 lb bag that we'd put behind the driver on the surf side. Last year we started trying a DIY surfgate and it makes things much easier. Don't know if you've seen the threads here on DIY surfgate, but they're easier to make and just strap or clamp onto the platform.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:10 pm 
Team Axis

What was your ballast setup before the 700 lbs behind driver?

I have definitely seen the DIY gate thread and can't wait to pick my boat up so I can build one. But , since our boat is newer and our first boat, I am going to have to build something very nice looking to get my wife to allow me to put it on the boat. If my wife catches me throwing my wood clamps in the boat I don't think it will end well for me. I have a few ideas for a custom clamp that I hope to prototype in the spring.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:30 pm 
Team Axis

Our boat came with the standard plus 550 bags in the rear and the arrow bag in the front. So we filling one rear 550, 700 behind the driver and the front PNP bag. I'm the only one boarding regular (vs goofy) so we've just done the one side. We upgraded the rear bags to sumo 900s and I'll sit on the engine cover for extra weight.

3 or 4 of your largest friends can help you dial in the optimal config for you. Better than moving bags arounds.

For my DIY SG I uses a couple straps to hold it on (one to the transom tie down and the around through the wedge access plate).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:36 pm 

New to this myself, '13 A22, zero time till this year when I bought it...about a week into the 950 mushroom and two 750s. Finding that to get a clean 'curl' wake, am having to pretty much fill the surf side sack and empty the other one (leave the stock tank full). Kind of a pain dialing it in having to switch sides (my youngest son and I are goofy-we seem to be the only ones we know...).

I'm real keen on the homemade SG...really want to try it, just a little leery on securing it...impressive forces with that much weight on board. Sure would be nice to be able to just fill both sides and swap the SG....I'd buy several rounds of whatever you want to get to that state of affairs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:42 pm 
Team Axis

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403912446.041114.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403912446.041114.jpg [ 234 KiB | Viewed 45244 times ]

We call ours the ghetto gate but for it we use a turnbuckle and have a tie down going across the stern of the boat, it is on there solid.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:58 pm 
Team Axis

John. You have proven you craftsmanship and demensions, now go buy a sheet of HDPE. One strap loop from the bar under the swim deck to the tie down loop should be able to hold it in place securely. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:16 pm 

I've become a bit mesmerized with the wickedwakesurf.com A22 kit, but idea of drilling holes in the swim deck makes me a bit squeamish. Now the HDPE with the eyelet and strap definitely have my attention!