It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: JL Infinite Baffle Subwoofer Install
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:36 am 
Team Axis

So I've been weighing my options about a subwoofer in my '16 T23 and I think I've decided I want to use JL's M12IB6 infinite baffle subwoofer. This sub is supposedly a whole different beast than the 10" JL or Wetsounds infinite baffle subs.

http://www.jlaudio.com/m12ib6-sg-wh-mar ... vers-91618

I decided to go this route because I take the false panel under the dash out and use that storage space as a place for my dog to lay out of the sun, storage for a soft cooler, and I transport my surfboards in the driver seat with the noses slid down into that storage space and the steering wheel locking them down. I really don't want to lose all that function to add a subwoofer there. I realize that I could fit a sub in a sealed box there and it would probably play louder, but I'm ok with the trade offs I think.

So, having said that, my plan is to mount the woofer in the walkway behind the observer seat in the top half of that compartment, basically above the battery switch. My thoughts are that whole compartment will act as the "box" the woofer is in while letting the sound radiate throughout the cabin because it will be directing sound right out instead of in a box in that compartment. I realize the fiberglass itself is too thin to support the woofer so I'm thinking a backing panel, say 16" square of 1" marine grade plywood and then sandwich that to that fiberglass with the mounting bolts of the woofer. Probably will throw some damping material between the panel and the fiberglass to eliminate any potential vibration there. The seats should act well enough as a seal, my only concern is the gap above the cup holders cause cause a backwave to reach the front side of the woofer, but idk enough of the physics about that.

My thinking is that the backing panel will help support the weight of the woofer in the fiberglass and disperse the energy across that fiberglass section so that it doesn't vibrate and wobble from the force of the woofer, which would obviously be a problem. I realize that once I start cutting 12" circles in the fiberglass that I'm kinda stuck with that, so wanted to throw this out there and hear people's thoughts on it. I've got 2 Rev 10s on the tower and 6 XS-650s throughout and this is my first attempt at a sub on the boat. Anyone see any flaws I haven't thought of or ways to improve the install? Has anyone ever seen this on a Malibu/Axis?

Post subject: Re: JL Infinite Baffle Subwoofer Install
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:46 am 
Team Axis

Eek. If you don’t like it you still have a giant hole cut into the walkway.

I don’t have experience with a sub there but when Malibu was doing speakers in the walkway they were useless for actual listening. I’d be concerned that you wouldn’t get great output.

All that said, if you are committed to going IB, I can’t think of a better plan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:13 pm 
Team Axis

Yeah, want to be doubly sure on my approach before I start but there's no real going back.

I know the Malibu speakers sucked there but I think that was due to the wavelength that coaxials reproduce being cancelled out due to that space, crossing the sub over at 100hz is an 11ft soundwave so I don't foresee that being a problem since bass and sub-bass are less of a concern for localization. It's why you can put your sub in a corner in your house, but the main speakers need to be pointing into the listening area.

I definitely don't have the space for a sub in a box in the passenger compartment due to all the life jackets and bags that get put in there, so this or under the dash are really the only options I can think of. I use every bit of space in my boat for something.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:51 am 
Team Axis

How did it work out? interested in similar.