It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Disappearing ballast....losing my mind
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:27 pm 
Boater

I have a 2010 A22 Vandall Edition. We had a front sac plumbed in at the front. It fills no problem. Then after riding a set the water in the bag disappears. LOL. Where in the heck is it going?? I think I'm losing my mind.

What I've Done:
I checked all 3 lines plumbed to bag...not leaking. SLIGHTLY damp under the bag, but I think that's normal.
I filled the center tank, so even if its piggy backed off that tank its not draining into there
I checked the bag to make sure it wasn't just air in the bag, and it is 100% sure water
I filled it again after the first disappearing act....it did it again

Post subject: Re: Disappearing ballast....losing my mind
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:10 am 

mine does the same thing, i have just been shuutting the valve on the fill pump to keep it from draining out. the fix is you need to put a loop in the fill line higher than the bag so it doesnt drain out while driving

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:11 pm 
Boater

The water is running back out of the fill line? Wouldn't closing the ball valve just prevent filing and not affect the water from escaping out of the one of the lines?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:08 pm 

ya if you pull your fill pump apart you can see it would not hold water from flowing back through it.

take a look at how you fill line is to front sack, im guessing it just goes to top of bag , directly from the pump. so when you start surfing the front of boat is up and all the water is able to go back down the fill line and out the bottom. simple test of filling your bag and then closing the valve on the fill pump will tell you if thats whats happening.

what i will be doing is adding extra hose and making a high loop inside the compartment under the windshield. the rear pumps have the loops installed from factory.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:15 pm 
Team Axis

mdean4421 wrote:
I have a 2010 A22 Vandall Edition. We had a front sac plumbed in at the front. It fills no problem. Then after riding a set the water in the bag disappears. LOL. Where in the heck is it going?? I think I'm losing my mind.

What I've Done:
I checked all 3 lines plumbed to bag...not leaking. SLIGHTLY damp under the bag, but I think that's normal.
I filled the center tank, so even if its piggy backed off that tank its not draining into there
I checked the bag to make sure it wasn't just air in the bag, and it is 100% sure water
The fill line off the pump should have a 1 way check valve in line. If it doesn't the water will siphon back through the pump. If it has one it has probably failed. Flyhigh and wakemakers sale them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2016 AXIS A20....SOLD
2018 AXIS T22....CURRENT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:04 pm 
Boater

Update: I closed the ball valve thats facing straight up and down in the hole accessible next to the driver seat under the snap in carpet when you spin the circle plastic piece off. I THINK that is the right pump (hard to trace those lines), however, the ballast still leaked out. I was thinking how can that be?!?! I saw there were two more pumps mounted horizontally way under there past that one mounted vertically that I cut off. Not sure what those are for to be honest or if I can reach them. I'll try tomorrow come light.

Any advice?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:22 pm 
Team Axis

mdean4421 wrote:
Update: I closed the ball valve thats facing straight up and down in the hole accessible next to the driver seat under the snap in carpet when you spin the circle plastic piece off. I THINK that is the right pump (hard to trace those lines), however, the ballast still leaked out. I was thinking how can that be?!?! I saw there were two more pumps mounted horizontally way under there past that one mounted vertically that I cut off. Not sure what those are for to be honest or if I can reach them. I'll try tomorrow come light.

Any advice?
Why don't you turn the fill pump on with the hatch off and see? You should be able to feel/hear what pump it is

2016 AXIS A20....SOLD
2018 AXIS T22....CURRENT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:29 am 

steveA20 wrote:
mdean4421 wrote:

What I've Done:
The fill line off the pump should have a 1 way check valve in line. If it doesn't the water will siphon back through the pump. If it has one it has probably failed. Flyhigh and wakemakers sale them.

i dont think the 2010 had the check valves

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:32 am 

mdean4421 wrote:

Any advice?

should be two mounted mounted vertically , its the farther one to reach that is for the front bag, closer one to the hole is for center ballast. the one laying down i believe is front drain pump

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:00 pm 
Boater

Update 2: I re-checked the hatch area. There are actually 3 pumps vertical and one horizontal. I followed your advice about feeling it ( don't know why I didn't think of that). And it was the far pump standing vertical. I cut it off after filling the ballast bag and it stayed full!

So now ive established the problem, I think I'm going to see if I can find an area to zip tie off or mount the hoses up higher. I think I will have to add more hose. I'll keep yall posted.

Thanks for the help thus far!