It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Custom GPS controlled surfgate setup
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:49 am 

In procuring the parts for this -i wound up with a bunch of spare parts as it's always cheaper. Going back on my earlier "I wont have time to do that statement" --If anyone is actively ready to add this to their boat - I'll build a few for folks here - for just the cost of the parts and shipping (probably ~$70.) I'll solder or screw shield them for you and either leave labeled wires ready to attach to the leads or install aviation connectors for you to attach whatever cabling you want.

You'll get:
Ardiuno (nano or uno)
GPS controller and antenna
12v in via buck converter
L298N motor controller to drive relays w/4 outputs (1 relay in each direction per tab)

All soldered and ready to install (or in an enclosure you pick out.)

Controls (Mountable or can include on a piece of plexi for testing):
3 way switch for surf direction (left, off, right)
rotary encoder (dial) for fine tuning deployment distance and saving settings (this is much easier than phone control after all.)
single 1 color LED (flashes when moving, solid when deployed, fast flash for any issues - IE no gps/etc.)

You will need to supply:
Tabs or NSS gates installed w/ 2 lencos wired with marine relays as per normal lenco wiring diagrams

Cabling you'd need to do:
12v power (+12/gnd) (18/20g is fine)
4 small gauge wires to relays
9 wires to dash for controls (I'm using 18/9 wire - can prewire and solder for you with whatever length you need)

I'd need to work with each of you slightly to customize things for your setup if you want a fully-ready-to-go system - otherwise you can tweak things via USB once installed. If you already have manual tabs on your boat that would be optimal - since that will help with fine tuning.

If anyones interested - let me know - and FYI it may take a couple weeks for me to get to it.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:22 am 

jtnorway wrote:
In procuring the parts for this -i wound up with a bunch of spare parts as it's always cheaper. Going back on my earlier "I wont have time to do that statement" --If anyone is actively ready to add this to their boat - I'll build a few for folks here - for just the cost of the parts and shipping (probably ~$70.) I'll solder or screw shield them for you and either leave labeled wires ready to attach to the leads or install aviation connectors for you to attach whatever cabling you want.

You'll get:
Ardiuno (nano or uno)
GPS controller and antenna
12v in via buck converter
L298N motor controller to drive relays w/4 outputs (1 relay in each direction per tab)

All soldered and ready to install (or in an enclosure you pick out.)

Controls (Mountable or can include on a piece of plexi for testing):
3 way switch for surf direction (left, off, right)
rotary encoder (dial) for fine tuning deployment distance and saving settings (this is much easier than phone control after all.)
single 1 color LED (flashes when moving, solid when deployed, fast flash for any issues - IE no gps/etc.)

You will need to supply:
Tabs or NSS gates installed w/ 2 lencos wired with marine relays as per normal lenco wiring diagrams

Cabling you'd need to do:
12v power (+12/gnd) (18/20g is fine)
4 small gauge wires to relays
9 wires to dash for controls (I'm using 18/9 wire - can prewire and solder for you with whatever length you need)

I'd need to work with each of you slightly to customize things for your setup if you want a fully-ready-to-go system - otherwise you can tweak things via USB once installed. If you already have manual tabs on your boat that would be optimal - since that will help with fine tuning.

If anyones interested - let me know - and FYI it may take a couple weeks for me to get to it.
I sent you a PM.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:14 am 

Hey all,

The final version of this project is online on the github page - including wiring instructions and all the parts and code to make it work.

https://github.com/jonthompson/surfactuator

I'll be testing the latest code on the water tomorrow - but I've got 3 friends boats thus far running the previous code with zero issues.

Feel free to ask any questions here or directly via message anytime!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:20 pm 

thank you for this. I want to build something next winter. let us know if your interested in building one for a fellow member :)