It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tower speakers sound too sharp/harsh?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:56 am 
Team Axis

I'm going to apologize ahead of time for my lack of knowledge in this area.

I installed a pair of icon8's and an amp to power them over the winter. I had sound pack 1.

I've noticed and my wife has complained that the tower speakers almost hurt your ear because they are so sharp? Or like crisper? Or something. Not sure how to describe it but yeah, when we have the stereo cranked it's like whoa. Now these aren't the rev speakers which I've read about people saying they are not as 'warm' sounding as the icons. We only use the tower speakers for surfing, cruising or floating and swimming.

I'm not a stereo guy, this was my first install actually, so I figured I'd reach out and see if anyone had any input.

I don't think this is related but figured I'd mention it. I also installed a sub/amp that works fine and realized I need to add an amp on the inboat speakers , which I plan to do this winter. Never realized how under powered they were before the tower speakers.

Post subject: Re: Tower speakers sound too sharp/harsh?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:08 am 
Team Axis

What amp do you have? Someone that knows what they are doing (not me) could add a resistor to the tweater to tame them down a bit I believe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:24 am 
Team Axis

some basic questions:

1. how do you have the tone settings on your headunit set? I mean you don't have treble jacked up real high do you?
2. Do you have an EQ? If so, same question.
3. How is your highpass crossover set for the tower speakers? If it's set too high, it could sound like all that comes out of them is highs, with no mid tones. I'd suggest setting around 100hz then fine tune from there.

I have the icons and don't find them to be particularly bright.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:35 am 
Team Axis

I have a Precision Power 600.2 amp.

I have never messed with the settings on the headunit, so I'm not sure where they are but expect them to be normal/factory set as I bought the boat new.

No EQ installed yet, I have one in box waiting but couldn't install it until I get another amp for the in boat speakers and add a pair for the bow.

I have no idea what a high pass crossover is or what it's set at....can you give more detail so I can look into it tonight when I'm at the boat?

Appreciate the help.

Matt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:22 pm 
Team Axis

the manual is really helpful for this stuff: http://precisionpower.com/html-version/ ... m-Amps.PDF

If I were a gambling man, I'd bet $1 that the #7 10x multiplier is pushed in on the high pass crossover, which means you are only feeding the tower speakers the high highs. You want to make sure that the amp is set to HPF (#10), that the 10x multiplier (#7) is not pushed in, and that the high pass crossover (#6) is set to around 100hz.