It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Guide post removal
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:53 pm 

I am a new 2016 T23 owner with rookie level backup skills. I have a pretty narrow garage and struggle to get the boat backed in easily. A friend of mine with a 2015 T23 said he removes his guide posts on his Boatmate trailer as they have a quick release mechanism. On the new Malibu trailers there are just two bolts and nuts per side. Until my backing up skills improve removing the guide posts would give me another 12 inches of clearance and make things much easier. Does anyone have experience with modifying the new guide posts so that they can be easily removed? I searched this forum and TMC and couldn't find any posts on this. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Guide post removal
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:41 am 
Team Axis

It would have to be a custom job as the posts are fixed (I'm pretty sure).

Find a collar that has an ID to match the guide post OD.
Cut the guide post at the base leaving enough room to slide a portion of the collar on.
Weld collars onto bottom portion of the guide posts attached to the trailer. AND PAINT.
Paint bottom portion of the cut off guide posts that exposed raw metal and slide into collar.

Maybe drill and put a pin the guide posts if you feel the need.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:16 am 
Team Axis

Can't you just loosen the posts up and turn them in more? I can on my Boatmate trailer if needed. Since you're admittedly not good at backing a trailer, when you're backing it up are you steering by having your hand on the BOTTOM of the steering wheel? This makes it a no brainer for a newbie.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:35 pm 

Thanks for the ideas. I'm not skilled enough for chaser720's idea but if I keep struggling I could probably find someone to do it. At least to me the 2016 trailers don't seem like they have the ability to turn in more as there are two bolts at the bottom and a pretty tight fit. I'm getting better at backing in but find pulling out can be even more difficult sometimes! After about 30 minutes of trying to pull out of my garage today I just removed one of the guideposts so that I could get out of a tight spot. I have seen a lot of trailers without guideposts. Would it be a mistake to just entirely remove them? Would I end up regretting it when loading the boat on the trailer? Thanks. This forum has been invaluable as a new boat owner!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:21 pm 
Team Axis

I would prefer to have the posts hit before the boat, but I can see the advantage of the extra maneuvering room. When i was a kid we had a boat garage that had 2" clearance for the tires at the door and another spot with 3" tire clearance further in. It was a royal pain for me, but my dad had once been a truck driver and was amazing at backing in there.

At some point we had a front trailer hitch installed on the station wagon and it was the best thing since inboard motors! If you mount a hitch coupling on the front of your tow vehicle you can put it where you want with great visibility.

Alternatively an electric tug is fun. That is what I have, and my kids and their husbands can safely put the boat away with no chance of damage. Best thing ever if you are on pavement. This is a picture of one like mine. I bought mine used for $500.

Attachments:
dolly.jpg
dolly.jpg [ 27.62 KiB | Viewed 25669 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:30 am 

I have a 2016 t22. Same issue. need those gone to give me an inch or so clearance into the garage.... There are two bolts under the step pad on the trailer... loosen. twist in... store... return back when in use.