It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: DIY tricked out trailer?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:19 pm 
Team Axis

Anybody looked into what this might cost, or done one already? I guess the biggest question would be the cost around getting a quality paint job on the steel....would it be some type of marine-grade powdercoating?

Post subject: Re: DIY tricked out trailer?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:00 pm 
Team Axis

Just a buy a aluminum trailer, paint it, and throw some wheels on it. Our tricked out trailers have the runway lighting, I believe fenders are a bit wider for the 18" rims. The tie downs are nice but you can buy them. I have a tricked our trailer and mine is as tricked as it gets. It is galvanized then painted over with aluminum fenders and the step plates on it. I also have a matching gear alloy wheel spare. I know a few others have the fully done up ones on here. Everyone seems to always look at the rims on my boat and then the tower speakers.

After all that, just get the tricked out trailer. Don't try and build on. I don't see it being much cheaper. When I bought my boat it was so hard at age 24 to swallow the cost of everything added up. Tell ya what, best choice I ever made.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:51 pm 
Team Axis

You can buy the led runway lights from Boatmate, but if you don't spend time out at night...I wouldn't spend the $$$. I would go with wheels and tires like Gibster said. I have the XD Rockstar wheels on mine. If you go this route, we can help you with tire size- etc, but it would be best to call Boatmate for the proper lugnut alignment and spacing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:06 pm 
Team Axis

Gibster786 wrote:
Just a buy a aluminum trailer, paint it, and throw some wheels on it. Our tricked out trailers have the runway lighting, I believe fenders are a bit wider for the 18" rims. The tie downs are nice but you can buy them. I have a tricked our trailer and mine is as tricked as it gets. It is galvanized then painted over with aluminum fenders and the step plates on it. I also have a matching gear alloy wheel spare. I know a few others have the fully done up ones on here. Everyone seems to always look at the rims on my boat and then the tower speakers.

After all that, just get the tricked out trailer. Don't try and build on. I don't see it being much cheaper. When I bought my boat it was so hard at age 24 to swallow the cost of everything added up. Tell ya what, best choice I ever made.

Thanks, I think you just convinced me to go with it on the original purchase instead of DIY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:14 am 
Team Axis

Like nasty said, it's nice to have the custom wheels on it, but if you don't use it at nite the runway lights are pretty much useless, I have used mine at nite a few times and it's bad ass, but the majority of the time I ride it's just for a day trip and I load up before dark. The bolt on stainless fenders are nice, one of my buddies was backin it in for me and the trailer fell off the end of the ramp and trashed one of the fenders, 180$ later it looks just like it did before, four bolts and a little patience and it's easy to change out yourself. Much cheaper than having to get a steel fender welded on and repainted. Every trailer should come standard with bolt-on fenders, usually they get tore up first when you have a flat or blowout.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:19 am 
Team Axis

Was gonna go this route also. Dealer told me the tricked out trailer option was gonna be another $3200 without a spare wheel. I could do it myself without the lights for $1500- for the wheels & tires mounted & shipped & I think the wide fenders where either $200 for the pair or $200 a piece. In other words would have been way cheaper to do it myself minus the lights.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:07 am 
Boater

Don't be afraid to upgrade the trailer yourself guys. Your Axis dealer (like myself) can supply you with a wide fender set to replace the stock units, and you can then buy your own wheels and tires or we can supply those as well.
As an FYI the standard tandem axles use a 5 on 4.5" hub, and just make sure to get the proper offset on the new wheels.

Peter

peter@smoothwatersports.com
Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:20 am 
Team Axis

SmoothWaterMan wrote:
Don't be afraid to upgrade the trailer yourself guys. Your Axis dealer (like myself) can supply you with a wide fender set to replace the stock units, and you can then buy your own wheels and tires or we can supply those as well.
As an FYI the standard tandem axles use a 5 on 4.5" hub, and just make sure to get the proper offset on the new wheels.

Peter

What about painting it to match boat color? What's the most durable way to do that?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:35 am 
Boater

Just order the fenders pre-painted. I never paint new fenders in house when I order new ones. Boatmate bakes the paint on, which is far better than what we can do aftermarket.

Peter

peter@smoothwatersports.com
Facebook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:53 pm 
Team Axis

SmoothWaterMan wrote:
Just order the fenders pre-painted. I never paint new fenders in house when I order new ones. Boatmate bakes the paint on, which is far better than what we can do aftermarket.

Peter

Do they even make the tricked out fenders for the single axle trailers? If not, can you store an A20 on the tandem axle trailer without issues?