It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Surf gate
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:39 am 
Team Axis

I think saying it looks like a factory install is an insult! It's way better quality than a factory surf gate. Nice work.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:43 pm 

Have some photos of surf wave from the DIY surf gates, had all hard tanks full 1100 bags in rear compartments , 950 under bow seat & 400 pounder on top . Water was a bit rough on the day.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 103.25 KiB | Viewed 27841 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 96.01 KiB | Viewed 27841 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:05 pm 

Wow amazing work peter!

Im new here and I have a 2011 with the square platform as well. I am planning on building a gate as well. A local axis dealer has a 2016 used swim platform that I need test fit on the 2011 hull. if that doesnt work i might cut my platform down like yours. Do you have any more pictures of the pieces you cut out to help me judge the size of the cut and how you did it? maybe you took pictures before you cut?

also do you have a parts list of the electronics to run the actuators?

THank you so much guys i cant wait to show pictures of my boat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:00 am 

Sorry ,don't have any more photos of the platform before l cut down. The actuators are the lenco 102 model 4" stroke. The wiring , just ran 2 core wire from both actuators up to dash , replaced the top 2 accessorie switches with 3 position momentary on switches , to open & close gates just hold down for 10 seconds , 25 amp fuse on both ,That's the cheapest option. Would like to have it running with a smart wave controller from wake makers , have emailed them for cost of unit only & got no response . Good luck with the project , don't think 2016 platform will fit ,the 15 / 16 models have a new hull . Get hold of a 2014 one or cut down yours .

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:57 pm 

Peter you inspired me. last weekend i cut down my platform and spent the whole weekend fiberglassing. SOOO much work but i think it will be worth it.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:01 am 

Good work its a big job , take your time & just do it in sections ,let it dry then move on to the next section l spent weeks doing it . Love that fibreglass smell , post some picks when done.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:53 pm 

PeterMcRae wrote:
Good work its a big job , take your time & just do it in sections ,let it dry then move on to the next section l spent weeks doing it . Love that fibreglass smell , post some picks when done.

thank you so much for the inspiration. I did this last spring and never posted pictures. I have yet to make the gates but that sill be coming soon. even with the "suckgate" cutting the platform helped a ton. thank you again for taking the time and showing us how you did it.

before i build my gates would you change anything about the size shape or angle of your gates?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:20 pm 

Well done the platform looks great , it is a big job to take on but well worth the result for that better surf wave. The surf tabs are all the same dimensions as the stock axis gates, don’t think I would change anything seems to work well . Interested in that GPS Surfgate controller that’s happening ,sounds like a lot of work , would be great to buy as a kit.