It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Surf gate
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:40 pm 
Team Axis

Wicked wakesurf already makes one for that style platform

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:56 pm 
Boater

Walter wrote:
Wicked wakesurf already makes one for that style platform

Yes but there are 2 months out. Up north the season will be gone by then

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:54 am 
Team Axis

You could build it in an afternoon...

here are my notes https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dCg ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:35 am 
Team Axis

I built my first one in an afternoon, I had planned on ordering a new boat the following week. Needless to say it's been 2 years and I still have the same boat. I only want a new boat now because I fell in love with the T22 and I would like a slightly larger boat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:20 am 
Team Axis

It does fit on the 2012 - 2013 platform with a little trimming. ( Milwaukee cordless skill saw)

the inside piece on the top/ inside the platform needs to be trimmed back about 1-1.5 inches to account for the inside curve of the platform so you can get it to slide back all the way to the transom.

also had to trim the bottom slider as well, comes with a bit of a curve but do to the the bottom of my platform being straight it hung up as I pushed farther back. trimmed it down a bit and works great.

made small adjustments to make sure i didn't over cut and the unit would still be a tight fit.

had it out to test but still working on correct weight as not used to running a surf gate and not got the weight all figured out yet to maximize it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:22 am 
Team Axis

i will say the quality of the unit, packaging, appearance all is real good. i think once they get everything hammered out its going to be a fantastic option for people with 12-13 axis boats.

+ it comes assembled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:21 pm 
Team Axis

Can't wait. I too like the fact that it comes assembled.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:05 am 
Team Axis

Kris emailed me last week. They are testing a prototype for 2011-13 platforms. Should have one in 3 weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:08 pm 
Boater

I started surfing and love it. Have a 2013 so the obvious next step for me was a gate. Rather then spending cash on another boat I found myself reading every post on this forum regarding it. I was surprised Malibu wouldn't add them to our boats, but I guess its easier to just sell new.

I was going to make one myself based off plans, thanks to everyone who contributed, Dezul/morrisdl/Tom’s Ghetto Surf Gate and then saw the Mission gate, as its appealing to not have to bolt anything on and just have it done. They say it's almost ready, I'm excited and am trying to wait but know I could build one quick too. $550 certainly is a consideration where I could build one in a day too, but I do like supporting a turn key product and the guy really has done a good job.

My big question is though, has anyone retrofited one in permanently on the 2013? In previous threads someone said Malibu was saying the hull is different, but is it really? I would be eager to know if anyone put in one with actuators and the success of doing so?

sprfrkr wrote:
I'm a bit late to the party here, but this thread seems like it is attempting to retrofit the surfgate?! Pretty awesome initiative.
Though, when surfgate was released, Axis stated it could not be retrofit due to the added hull reinforcements that were added. Has this changed?

morrisdl wrote:
not really, Malibu still say that. no one has found evidence of hull differences. lots have added gates to pre 2014 hulls without any ill consequences. YMMV.

The swim gate on 2013 obviously won't accept the exact cut of the 2014 gate, but we could make a similar one that rests on the side of the swim step rather inside the swim step like 2014/2015.

It seems materials would be the 2 Lenco 102 actuators ($179 each, http://www.anchorexpress.com/lenco-102-series-standard-actuator-15059-001, 2 hinges, 2 sheets of HDPE (around $40 each), cut them similar to the 2014 and wire up 12v to the actuators? Has anyone done this with the actuators?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:48 pm 

Hi there , l have a 2011 a22 & have spent the last 12 months retro fitting surf gates . Live in Melbourne Australia , had to order lenco 102 actuators from USA , Boat dealer would not sell any parts at all without HIN numbers to match the surf gate year model 2014. Started by cutting down swim platform ,made surf gate out of marine ply then rapped them with carbon fibre . Put 2 extra layers of fibre glass inside rear of hull . Tried to order the hinges from dealer & no hope, made hinges out of blocks of alloy in two parts & bolts for hinge points. Will try & down load some photos , need daughters help.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next