It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Need help installing plug and play ballast lines
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:14 pm 
Team Axis

My 2014 Axis A22 didn't come with the plug and play option. So I have to set up my own system. I want to be able to shut off the bags and only fill the hard tanks. I couldn't find a drawing how the factory option is set up, so I've made my own drawing. Could you please compare this to the factory made plug and Play and tell me if this will work as planned?

Most of all: Do you think the check valves are needed? I want to prevent the bags filling via the hard tank's vent line and the bag's drain line.

Attachments:
ballast2.jpg
ballast2.jpg [ 99.01 KiB | Viewed 28520 times ]

Post subject: Re: Need help installing plug and play ballast lines
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:42 pm 
Team Axis

You probably would want a vented loop between the fill pump and the first Y to prevent water from draining out after fill the bag/tank. I'm not too sure the check valve between the bag and vent would be required as you might want to allow air flow back into the bag during draining.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:49 pm 
Team Axis

Thanks for the advice, I will add the vented Loop. Do you think I will need it for the bow bag as well?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:07 am 
Team Axis

pilotflying wrote:
Thanks for the advice, I will add the vented Loop. Do you think I will need it for the bow bag as well?
Yep. I know my 2014 has a loop on the vent line.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:36 am 
Team Axis

I wouldn't bother tying the rear ballast bags into the rear drain pump. It's really easy to just put a separate drain pump in and it will drain much faster (I'm actually going to do this on my boat). Then you can just use a Wye fitting to tap into the thru-hull drain and splice the wires in. It doesn't matter if the aerators run dry, so if your sacs are empty, no big deal running the second pump.

For the fill, you can just Wye off the fill pump, install a ball valve, then into the bag. Don't piggy back it the way you have it, it will be a lot slower than using a Wye directly off the pump.

Vent the bag as you illustrated.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:27 am 
Team Axis

Dave.Mishchenko wrote:
You probably would want a vented loop between the fill pump and the first Y to prevent water from draining out after fill the bag/tank. I'm not too sure the check valve between the bag and vent would be required as you might want to allow air flow back into the bag during draining.

Shouldn't there already be a Loop from the factory for filling the hard tanks?
dezul wrote:

Do I Need the Loop in the fill or in the vent line? Dave.Mishchenko suggested to put it in the fill line.
boardjnky4 wrote:
For the fill, you can just Wye off the fill pump, install a ball valve, then into the bag. Don't piggy back it the way you have it, it will be a lot slower than using a Wye directly off the pump.

That's how I put it in the drawing, right? Or what do you mean by piggy back it?

Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:47 am 
Team Axis

You shouldn't have any loops in your fill line. The loop keeps the water from getting pushed out the vent line due to momentum when under way.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:54 pm 
Team Axis

pilotflying wrote:
Dave.Mishchenko wrote:

Shouldn't there already be a Loop from the factory for filling the hard tanks?
dezul wrote:

Do I Need the Loop in the fill or in the vent line? Dave.Mishchenko suggested to put it in the fill line.
boardjnky4 wrote:

That's how I put it in the drawing, right? Or what do you mean by piggy back it?

Thanks for your help!

Oh yeah, so the only thing I would change is the drain and just put in a separate drain pump.