It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: A22 ballist upgrade/install
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:50 pm 

Ordered the fly highs today. Talked to the board stop people as recommended, and you were right, very helpful. Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:25 pm 
Team Axis

Boardstop is awesome. I went with sumos and I have had trouble out of my front arrow sac. The vent line kept popping off even after the ghetto fix they came out with. I ordered mine through wakemakers and they are working with me to replace it. It was definitely becoming a pain.

Post subject: My A22 ballast
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:53 pm 
Team Axis

Mine is a 2014 A22. I have 750 Sumos in the back and the 950 in the front. For surfing we run all bags and tanks FULL. Wedge down and the wedge bolt set to maximize downforce (there is a whole thread on this wedge stuff on this site). Current prop is a 13.5 X 14 oddball that was made from a damaged one. I wish I had the bigger one everybody raves about (ACME 2315), but this one works just fine.

We use surfgate to select the wake side and do not alter the weight for goofy vs regular. My kids are all serious ocean surfers who surf almost every day, year round and much of the year they live on the North Shore of Oahu to surf those waves, so they know a lot about surfing and waves. THEY LOVE THIS SET UP.

They say it is a small wave that is very "punchy" and fun. In addition to surf-style wakesurf boards, they have used skim style, ocean long boards, "fun boards", shortboards, fish, etc and they all work well in this wave.

I am thinking that it feels like I should have a little more weight in the front, and I rarely have people there when we are surfing. So i am thinking of getting another 300 - 500 to put as far forward as possible. I hate that this it will ruin the clean uncluttered look of the boat if I do it. Now with everything hidden the boat looks awesome except that the seat backs have to be open for the arrow bag's swell.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:00 am 
Team Axis

Agreed on the front weight (not enough), FH comments made here (go FH).

We have the T22, FH 750s in the rear, and under seat bag. The only thing I changed is we vented the rear bags. I would additionally like to add lead to the front as the smaller front ballast bag doesn't seem to be enough. The only thing you need to be careful of is sinking the bow in waves. We've had a few people up front and in the rear and are careful of course, just a word to the wise! Not sure how the A22 sits vs the T22, but I'm sure it's similar. Have fun and good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:12 pm 

All good info, thanks! And good news, I ordered the bags yesterday around 2-3pm and received them today!!! I paid for 2 day shipping but wow, that's exceptional and should help us get them in before our Labor Day trip to Broken Bow Lake.
Now I'll be researching the wedge bolt on the wedge you mentioned.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:41 pm 

I'm having a hard time finding the discussion re the adjusting the wedge or wedge bolt, can someone direct me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:34 pm 
Team Axis

You can find the long thread by using the search box at the bottom of the main page and searching for "Axis A22 Wedge".

Basically it gets lost in guesses and opinions at first, but eventually some folks get their gopro cameras to watch the wedge in action which resolved the questions to my engineering mind. The deal is that what they (dealers for example) call a floating wedge that can pivot as the boat's deck angle changes is a bunch of hokum. The wedge is hydrodynamically forced down and, therefore, toward the boat transom. The further out it is held, the more downforce it creates. There are two bolt holes. The bottom one holds the wedge further from the transom and that gives the higher downforce and bigger wake. Mine was delivered in this position. Sounds like not all come this way. In my weighting configuration at 9.8 to about 10.5 mph I can produce monster surf wakes that the kids rave about.

Here is a direct link to the page where the pictures and videos clear up the myths.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2418&hilit=bolt+hole&start=70

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:00 am 

Hmmm, ok, we will have to check ours, I have no idea what position it's in. But help me understand this correctly, so when I drop the wedge, whatever bolt position, it locks in place, no? There's no "floating" truly occurring right, or compensatory changes to it's angle when the boat is underway, right? I mean I don't see how, as it locks in either the up or down position but after reading that thread I got a little confused.

For the record, with the weight we added last weekend we felt the surfwave was a good bit cleaner without the wedge, and without a noticeable difference in the height, where previously (with only 1700 lbs) we always used the wedge.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:02 am 

And thanks for the link! interesting theories.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:59 am 
Team Axis

When you drop the wedge, it falls from gravity until it hits the stop (bolt). As the boat accelerates, intuition makes it seem like it should drag in the water and move aft, making a steeper angle, and settling to an angle that is associated with a speed. But this is not true.

As the boat accelerates, the wedge's angle pulls it down with hundreds of pounds of force (lift, in a downwards direction). At the same time there is force applied by the water that is trying to move it aft relative to the boat (drag in the water). The shape is a hyrdofoil (the wet cousin of an airplane's wing, or airfoil) and it is all about "lift to drag ratio". Drag slows the boat, lift drops the chine lower in the water. As long as the lift forces pull down more than the drag forces pull it back, it will stay against the bolt.

It does not lock except in the "storage" position. It just rests against the bolt from gravity (boat stopped) or by hydrodynamic forces plus gravity (boat moving). Sometimes on the first run the wedge is forgotten. Once on the wave they will notice something is wrong as they pump and bottom turn up the face of the wave for an air. Immediately they will notice that the wedge is down. Gentler surfing with longer boards or skim style might not be as noticeable, I think. We do not use it for wakeboarding as they think the wake is huge enough just based on weight.

Hope this helps, your mileage may vary...

Wayne