It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Home made
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:58 am 
Team Axis

Rock solid with the strap. The tapered-U shape kept the face board 1/2" from the hull - dumb luck. I have some pipe insulation like you and planned to make a bigger notch to accommodate both sides, but my tools are long walk from the boat so I decided to test as is. no spray, but I did get a LOT of water over the top messing up the lip still - Im going to try 1" taller face tomorrow (and 1" deeper since mine is symmetrical). That will put me at 22" long and 14" tall.

Will be interested to see if that messes with the steering. As it is (22"x12"), I noticed a sight resistant to turn right at idle speeds. Maybe the turning radius is 5' larger. It also backs up straight rather than the usual driver side pull. None of my guest drivers noticed a pulling or impairment. They both commented on the improvement of not being tipped and the bow being way easier to get over the rollers. The drivers bow corner used to ride 6" off the water when slammed for surfing. now its at least 24" - I had 0 weight in the bow for my tests.

BTW -Im at $0 for this monster improvement. I had all the pressure treated lumber scraps sitting around. Kicking myself for not doing it last year -- Thanks Joey!! You just saved me $1000 on a 2012 swim deck or MORE $$,$$$ on a 2014 axis!

Not sure if this google+ video link works like this for public sharing:
("Gear" button in the lower right to increase the resolution - 720 looks better)

Post subject: Re: Home made "Poor-gate"
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:59 am 
Team Axis

It is just simple 12 x 24 rectangle. Works great but will make some improvements on the next on when I have more time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:06 pm 
Team Axis

Here are some pics.
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376334395.416956.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376334395.416956.jpg [ 91.54 KiB | Viewed 22260 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:29 pm 
Team Axis

Sorry I have not been on here in forever; however, when I come back I found something very interesting here.

Gibbs are you still listing your boat slightly?

I cant wait to get out of the hospital to build mine. After I get it right, I might laminate or glass it over and get it painted. You guys are amazing for this. My might as well call her wife is wanting to learn to surf. After our twins our born and she heals we will be out!

Post subject: Re: Home made wave device
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:11 pm 
Team Axis

Gibster786 wrote:
Sorry I have not been on here in forever; however, when I come back I found something very interesting here.

Gibbs are you still listing your boat slightly?

I cant wait to get out of the hospital to build mine. After I get it right, I might laminate or glass it over and get it painted. You guys are amazing for this. My might as well call her wife is wanting to learn to surf. After our twins our born and she heals we will be out!

The results so far have been way above and beyond my expectations. Keep us all posted on ur build when u get to it.

Last edited by 1joeyh on Sun May 11, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:39 am 
Team Axis

1JoeyH - This is awesome! Thank you for sharing. I will be building a prototype this weekend to play with. I have a quick question though:

I noticed that on the original gates, the top of the gate is flush with the swim platform with a majority of the gate below the platform line. Yours seems opposite and is sitting higher than the platform.

Any relevance to this or input as to which may be better?

Looking forward to your feedback and getting a prototype going!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:27 am 
Team Axis

I was thinking the exact same thing. But i would also thibk that because of his mounting location if the tab were to sit lower it would put pressure in a different spot and the clamps might not work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:29 pm 
Team Axis

Height of the gate seems to be important in relation to the amount and position of the ballast. My version2 gate is tapered; 14" tall by the boat, 12" tall at the tail, and is evenly spaced vertically on the swim platform(S.P.) -This is to allow it to be used on either side of the boat.

I had all my bags full yesterday (1100 left, 1100 right, 400 middle, 900 front, 1/2 tank of gas, and wedge) and my 14" gate was just and inch above the water line at idle. That means my SP was about 6" under water at idle. Underway the gate had 1 or 2" of water coming over the top. Moving the adult to the non-surf side reduced the water coming over and improved the wave lip. taking some water out of the non-surf side helped too until the water coming over started spraying straight up in the air. The spray was not a problem yesterday, but on a windy day I bet it could get annoying.

The wave is a monster:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:55 pm 
Team Axis

GODUCKS! wrote:
1JoeyH - This is awesome! Thank you for sharing. I will be building a prototype this weekend to play with. I have a quick question though:

I noticed that on the original gates, the top of the gate is flush with the swim platform with a majority of the gate below the platform line. Yours seems opposite and is sitting higher than the platform.

Any relevance to this or input as to which may be better?

Looking forward to your feedback and getting a prototype going!

Thanks goducks. I was going to make mine flush with the deck at first but then I noticed that the new deck on the 2014 models has actually been raised up from the previous attachment spot. As AJ pointed out in a different thread the new deck no longer flows with the lines of the axis hull. So my DIY gate actually only sits a lil bit above where the stock gate would sit. Maybe an inch or so higher. Unweighted and at idle my gate sits 3-4" out of the water but weighted with 750s in the rear it only sits maybe an inch above the water. I'm not getting a whole lot of spray above the gate when riding. Definitely not enough to spray up onto the rear of the boat. I'm not sure if less sticking above the water would affect the wave any. It might reduce some spray. Here's the 2014 stock gate compared to mine.
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376420072.636836.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376420072.636836.jpg [ 133.85 KiB | Viewed 22172 times ]
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376420101.486678.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376420101.486678.jpg [ 190.35 KiB | Viewed 22172 times ]

Relative to the tie down loop I'm about two inches higher than the stock gate.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:57 pm 
Team Axis

So it's better to compare the relation of the gate to the tie down loop than the deck. Since the deck height has changed on the 14s.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 27  Next