It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Home made "Poor-gate"
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:58 pm 
Team Axis

And as morrisdl mentioned, the wave is monstrous.

Post subject: Re: Home made
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:16 pm 
Team Axis

morrisdl

could you take some pics and provide some dimensions? that would be helpful. I think i would like to build one almost identical.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:24 pm 
Team Axis

Ok, I've got to try this!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:33 pm 
Team Axis

I'm gonna get in on it after you waterfront guys get all the r&d worked out

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:00 pm 
Team Axis

1joeyh wrote:
So it's better to compare the relation of the gate to the tie down loop than the deck. Since the deck height has changed on the 14s.

Good info. i will try some prototypes this weekend. Starting with wood and then looking at a strut system...

Lastly for all testers; current state I only weight the side I am surfing. In the improved state with SG, are we to weight both sides evenly?

I will post prototypes process here as I move forward. I have a '12 A22 for reference

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:30 pm 
Team Axis

GODUCKS! wrote:
1joeyh wrote:
So it's better to compare the relation of the gate to the tie down loop than the deck. Since the deck height has changed on the 14s.

Good info. i will try some prototypes this weekend. Starting with wood and then looking at a strut system...

Lastly for all testers; current state I only weight the side I am surfing. In the improved state with SG, are we to weight both sides evenly?

I will post prototypes process here as I move forward. I have a '12 A22 for reference

I went out and tested some weight options today. I had my rear 750s evenly weighted. I had the center full with a 600lb bag in the bow. Only one person in the boat. The wave was awesome w/ this setup. I dumped the center to see if it changed at all. It really didn't seem to change the wave at all. So I then dumped the bow bag and that did change the wave a bit. The bow was riding really high w all the weight in the rear. There was a small amount of wash coming over the wave from the non surf side. I had the driver speed up and it cleaned up nicely but was not a real fun speed to surf at. In conclusion I figured having both rears filled equally and some bow weight produced the cleanest wave w a nice peak. Best speed was around 12.6mph. (I'm pretty sure my speedo is reading about a 1/2 mph fast tho). Good luck w ur build and please keep us posted w updates and pics. I got a quick video today to show the wave that I'll try to post later.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:10 pm 
Team Axis

Gibster786 wrote:
morrisdl

could you take some pics and provide some dimensions? that would be helpful. I think i would like to build one almost identical.

The part that touches the swim platform is made of (3) pieces of 2x6" pressure treated lumber all ~22" long. The tapered piece in the center was traced with pencil directly from the swim platform. Make sure the screws (the three in the middle) that connect the angled piece are counter sunk so they dont scratch your swim platform.

The 22 degree angled piece with a hole for the mounting strap is exactly the same dimensions Joey shared (11x14x22"). The 14" side is where the face board gets mounted. Test fit the bracket to your boat and see where to position the face board so its within 1/2" of the hull with out touching. If it touches, use the pipe insulation trick that Joey did.

The face board is 22" tall, 14" wide as the base, 12" wide at the top. This one is bolted right on top of my original 22x12" face board. The original started to warp a little, so I figured it best to double it up. Let me know if you have any other questions on dimensions.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:22 am 
Team Axis

Does anyone know what degree would be needed if I build this for a 2012 surf platform? If a 22 degree is needed for the old non surf (2011) platform then I assume that I would need a larger angle for the 2012 surf platform as it angles in away from the lines of the boat in the rear. My boat is to far away right now to check and I would like to get started on this before the weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:09 pm 
Team Axis

Going off the 2012 platform I am building one at 31 degrees. Assuming that the 2009-2011 platform lines run parallel to the hull of the boat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:49 pm 
Team Axis

scmart wrote:
Going off the 2012 platform I am building one at 31 degrees. Assuming that the 2009-2011 platform lines run parallel to the hull of the boat.

The pre-2012 swim platform does run parallel to the hull.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 27  Next