It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: NL4-XL GPS conversion
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:02 pm 
Team Axis

I'll see how it works, I called Ed and ordered a bunch of fittings for my bags so I can put both 400's on the surf side, also got a pump coming and a new surf board, can't wait to try it out with more weight on surf side, I went ahead and took out all of the glued in fittings, that was nerve racking leaving a hair dryer on the bag for 12 minutes!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:15 pm 
Team Axis

Thanks John. I agree its a great prop and this is typical, but definitely annoying/embarrassing. The "surging" in my boat has been since day 1, but its also more like engine skipping (but only with cruise engaged). It happens on left or right turns with my 1235 prop, wedge down, 2700# ballast, 335hp engine. I usually have 3/4 throttle. Are you saying 100% thottle is better or worse? Or should I be manually goosing the gas in the corners?

I dont think I agree about the sensor being off center causing the a speed difference. Even if the paddle was 6" off center, that would only be 0.0006 mph difference in any arc. Maybe my math is off after a several glasses of wine, but Circle = PI x diameter. 6" off center would be 12" diameter, 12" x Pi =~36", 3'/hour = 0.00056818mph.

I hope the water flow over the paddle wheel is disrupted by the angle of the turn and spins irregular enough to be causing the crazy cruise. That means Walters GPS sensor will fix the issue. If it is actually a weight into the turn issue and extra throttle beyond the parameters of the cruise programming then only a firmware fix will help us.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:18 pm 
Team Axis

say wha?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:05 am 
Team Axis

Nice install. Looking forward to the test report.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:48 pm 
Team Axis

So will this "fix" the surge issue? Mine will surge and then it won't reset.

We are on a short lake with tight corners. If somebody is not a good driver, the boat will speed up to 30 and will not reset. By the time they slow down, the pass is over and we are turning again! It gets frustrating!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:59 pm 
Team Axis

I'm gonna do a side by side test this weekend, since its a 10 second plug in I'm gonna run it and take a sharp turn both ways and then swap to the GPS and do it again and see how it does, I'll let you guys know how it goes on Monday or Tuesday, maybe sooner if my phone will work at the lake

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:53 pm 
Team Axis

Ok so this weekend I tested out the GPS receiver, first thing I noticed was it appeared to hold speed better, may have just been reading it more accurate but the speed reading on the gauge stayed within .3. Then I went to the channel I like to ride in and plugged back in the paddle wheel, took off with the cruise set at 23, the turn around point on google maps is 500 foot shore to shore so I was probably taking 250-300 feet sweeps, I went from end to end once turning left and once turning right gradually turning and progressively turning the wheel more as i went further into the turn (as if i were pulling a rider) with the paddle wheel the boat surged halfway through the turn going both ways, then I switched back to the GPS, I then did the exact same test going both ways and turning the same radius and the boat just gradually accelerated through both turns with no surge, but I decided to see if I could get it to still surge with the GPS so I took the same turns both directions and this time I really abruptly yanked the wheel and made about a 150 foot radius turn and I could still make it surge, to me it did help a little because I never turn circles that sharp, it did feel smoother, I guess it's just a coin toss on how hard you guys turn around on whether or not it will help, I'm gonna keep testing it and switching back and forth between the 2 when I can find some better water to test in. This last weekend when I was testing I was doing it In 30mph wind gusts and white capping conditions, I may be back at the lake in a couple of weeks, for sure will test more on the 4th of July, also if anyone wants to know I did all of these tests with the 1235 high altitude prop and no ballast, water conditions were just too inadequate to spend a bunch of time this week. Sorry if you are still on the fence about this

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:46 am 
Team Axis

Great Feedback Walter! Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:01 am 
Team Axis

Subscribed, thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:08 pm 

What is the price for the GPS conversion? Also can the GPS antenna be installed under the dash? I installed a perfect pass system on my last boat and it came with Velcro to install it under the dash. It worked perfectly.