It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Amp rack fab
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:46 pm 
Team Axis

Pretty straigthforward with one caveat. I got no stereo at all in my boat, so no amp rack. So I made one. If you look over in the boat, you'll see a couple of fiberglass rails. They are NOT parallel, so it takes a bit more work to make the panel fit. I made a template out of cardboard to fit the rails. Here's teh caveat - I made my panel extend past the rails to give me more space. Well, the contour of the hull is such that if it is too long, the panel will eventually hit the panel, pushing it up a bit. So just be careful. I'll try to take some measurements when I get a chance. Here's what it looks like:

For the holes that I drilled, I rounded off the edges to alleviate any risk that the sharp edges may cut into the insulation:

I also soldered the cables to alleviate corrosion concerns.

I have a Syn-2, a Syn-4, and Syn-Micro. I tried to leave space to replace the Mirco with a bigger amp should I add more stuff. Fair amount of room to grow. Note that I tried to run the power cables on the bottom so they'd be opposite to speaker wires. If they need to cross, do it at 90 degrees. I'll try to add a picture of the thing installed, too.

Post subject: Re: Amp rack fab
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:43 pm 
Team Axis

Looks great... I need to build a amp rack for mine too and get the Exile amp off the floor. It will be a small winter project... I built one for my MasterCraft but I am a little nervous about drilling into the fiberglass rails... what size screws are you using and how thick is the wood?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:46 pm 
Team Axis

Dylan wrote:
Looks great... I need to build a amp rack for mine too and get the Exile amp off the floor. It will be a small winter project... I built one for my MasterCraft but I am a little nervous about drilling into the fiberglass rails... what size screws are you using and how thick is the wood?

3/4" plywood Screws were I think 1.5" #8. When you pull the carpet back, you'll see a rather thick rail, probably 1.5" thick. Low risk of going through it.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:10 pm 

What are the dimensions of your rack?