It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Free air subwoofer Vs. Enclosed box subwoofer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:07 pm 
Team Axis

Can always build your own and have it rhinolined.

http://www.wetsounds.com/media/products ... losure.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:18 pm 
Team Axis

ryankat84-

What cabin speakers are you running? Pic is a little blurry, but looks like your gains are all in the 11 oclock position? Freq is about 120Hz?

Is the bass boost turned up? How about the head unit..do you have any eq settings (treble, mid, bass) turned up?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:22 pm 

The cabin speakers are stock alpine right now but I am putting wet sounds xs-650's in once they come in. That is why there is only one amp hooked up. You are correct, all the gains are set at 11'oclock and the frequency is set about 120hz. The head unit is set at level 3 on the equalizer and treble is +4, Mid is +4, Low is 0. I am not for sure on the bass boost. I will check it this evening. Everything was set at the dealer. I think they were in a hurry when they were installing it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:43 pm 

ryan,

HT amps look great. One thing to check and see if they still have the snap on feet that come with the HT amps. This is a built in spacer that lets the amp sit off the carpet. This will increase air flow and help cooling and also gives you the ability to run the wires behind the amp for a cleaner install.

As for the free air woofer. Free air woofers can work great in certain applications. You have to think about it like the back area being the box. Is it all sealed? Is the subwoofer mounted on a solid area? For instance, in our sea hunter fishing boat we have two SW-10 FA in the center seat base. This area is completely sealed. And thick fiberglass so a solid mount. They sound like a pair of 12's because they have a lot of air space like a free air woofer needs and it is a true sealed box. Same boat has a location in the bow with one SW-10. These boats have a foam filled area. So there is not any space the woofer needs. So same woofer doesn’t sound near the same. So application and location play a part in the output. So limitations in the application and not the woofer.

I would look at the area behind the woofer. So if you can seal it off and create a pseudo enclosure for it. Free air woofers are designed to play in a larger than normal "sealed" type set up. I would not recommend the XS-10 in a ported box, only sealed. You have to put it in a larger than normal sealed enclosure. They work well in a box, just a larger than normal sealed box. over 1 cut ft. Our XS-12 plays in this same size box and the SS-10 is made for an enclosure and can play in a small .85 cut ft. So you can see a free air woofer needs a bit more space. And getting more than 1 cut ft will be better. That is bare min.

Let me know any other questions and be happy to help get ya'll tuned up

Tim
Wet Sounds

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:07 pm 
Team Axis

Can someone shoot me a link to a shop that can build and ship me a box that will fit in the footwell under the driver's feet for a 12'' sub? I'd love to fit one in the stock location and retain the kick panel.