It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Wedge & Carpet
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:59 pm 
Boater

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever added a Wedge to an A22, and whether it's worth it. What kind of a gain will it bring, and at what price? I'm also thinking about getting carpet. Will the factory send one out or does it have to be odered when the boat is new?

Post subject: Re: Wedge & Carpet
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:29 pm 
Team Axis

forgo the wedge ($1000) and buy 1100 fat sacks for the rear lockers...

you can order carpet or tsunami mat from your dealer, not sure on the price, i think carpet is a few hundred bucks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:46 pm 
Boater

Thx John. I'll let you know how it goes. You recommend the 2 550's? Will there be any more space in the lockers after they fill??

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:06 pm 
Team Axis

He means 2 1100 fat sacs and No the locker is full when filled.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:30 pm 
Team Axis

Since the 1100's don't fill all the way, I went with 750's and keep 200lbs of lead onboard so I can always tuck them in behind the surfside rear sac up against the transom to get that extra bit of lean. I didn't want to mess with reinforcing the engine divider wall

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:20 pm 
Team Axis

what AJ says is a good option too. I run 750's in my lockers and get them super full, plus I didn't have to reinforce the engine dividers... but I don't run with the wedge, and if your looking at getting a similar shape of the wedge for cheaper with sacks, then you need a lot of weight back there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:57 pm 
Team Axis

I have a wedge and LOVE it. The wake feels way too rampy to me without the wedge, but that's personal preference. The wedge will give it that nice lip at the top which pops the board up real quick, so it's really up to you. I have 750s in my back lockers and a 750 in the front....with all of those full, and the wedge NOT released, I'm not really a huge fan of the wake. However, I can't speak of the wake with 1,100s in the back, but from what everyone is saying it gets a bit more vert/nautique style than rampy?

My typical setup is:
Center tank full
750lb bow mushroom bag full and I mean FULL :P
rear tanks full
750lb bags 75% full (my 335 won't plane with more)
Wedge down

The wake is suh-sweeeeeet. Although, I have tried riding 80' lately because I kept going way in the flats, but the speed necessary for that rope length really starts to make the wake shrink :( I ride 25.2mph @ 75' right now.

Here is a video of my boat launching to plane on my current setup, but more importantly, you can see how steep the wake is when I drop out of it and ride up and down it before busting my ass (I've landed the Whirly before, but not behind my Axis yet :( ). I'm 6'3" and the wake is at least knee high. I'm gonna get out there one day with my GoPro and hang it low so you can see the wake directly from the side.

https://vimeo.com/40779675

Hope this helps...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:46 pm 
Team Axis

otown, have you calibrated your speedo yet?

I was riding 25.2 (calibrated) at 80' with a slightly different weight setup, but I too would go into the flats even when I wasn't trying, at 75' that would have been way too close. I have since dropped it down to 24.4 at 80 and I like it a lot better. Best thing was my wake got a little bit bigger at the slower speed.

I would love to see go pro footage of your wake, your weight set up is different and I am curious...

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:13 am 
Team Axis

Johnnydefacto wrote:
otown, have you calibrated your speedo yet?

I was riding 25.2 (calibrated) at 80' with a slightly different weight setup, but I too would go into the flats even when I wasn't trying, at 75' that would have been way too close. I have since dropped it down to 24.4 at 80 and I like it a lot better. Best thing was my wake got a little bit bigger at the slower speed.

I would love to see go pro footage of your wake, your weight set up is different and I am curious...

No I haven't calibrated it, I didn't know I had to :shock: I picked up the boat used, so I would imagine it's already calibrated? How often do you have to do it? From what I've felt behind my boat, with anything less than 25mph at 75', after I edge out into the flats for a wake jump, my board will wash out and lose way too much speed before the line tension comes back. I'm really excited to hear about calibration, hopefully that will help me out some.

What is your weight setup like? I'll get the GoPro out there this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:09 am 
Team Axis

Flyguy wrote:
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever added a Wedge to an A22, and whether it's worth it. What kind of a gain will it bring, and at what price? I'm also thinking about getting carpet. Will the factory send one out or does it have to be odered when the boat is new?

I tried to order a stripper boat, but I ended up getting everything that required significant drilling into hte fiberglass. That would include the wedge. As my boat order ended up getting messsed up, and was built with zero options, it had to go back (luckily for me, I'm 20 minutes from the plant). I talked to Matt Bishop during this time, who somewhat oversaw the rework, and the hull is the same.

The big reason, if you want the wedge, to do it from the factory is that you'll be guaranteed it will fit properly, as it will be installed using the proper template. As for the functionality of the wedge, I grew up water skiing, and had been on a wakeboard once before I bought my boat. So from that perspective, the wedge was nice in that I could drop it and learn how to do some stuff wiht a small wake, and I dind't have to worry about filling and not filling the balast. Which was nice because my young kids were learning to ski. As for experienced riders and the wedge, I defer to the opinions already expressed.

As for the carpet and all of the other little things (decking lights, transom lights, cleats), it was actually a bit cheaper to just order them with the boat than to buy them later/aftermarket and put them on myself. But that stuff would be pretty easy to do. If you are trying to keep the cost down, it isn't a bad way to go. I have since added a ChillAx seat, just got a whole bunch of stereo equipment (came wihtout anything), and am looking at racks right now. But I did get the carpet new, as I figured it would be easier to have it there and not worry about little kids slipping due to wet feet.