It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Wakesurf
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:09 pm 
Team Axis

Anyone have a wakesurf board they are looking to sell before the season starts? I've been looking around and I'm beyond confused on what style would suit me. I'm a 6'3 185 lbs rider and I do not know which style or length is right for me. I feel like skim would be what I would like as I used to skateboard and could do all the 360 and shuvit tricks on that, but I'm looking for any suggestions as well as any used equipment so I can give it a try! Thanks guys!

Post subject: Re: Wakesurf
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:34 pm 
Team Axis

Where in Tennessee are you?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:23 pm 
Team Axis

North of Nashvillle. Old Hickory Lake.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:11 pm 
Team Axis

What type of board are you looking for? Skill level?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:50 pm 
Team Axis

Type of board is the question... I'm not sure? I guess you could classify me as a beginner because I only did it a couple of times last summer but I can wakeboard, skateboard, and snowboard so I'm assuming I would pick this up pretty quick as well. I don't want to get a long surf board style and feel trapped to where I can't do spins and shuvits. I would like one that I can grown on and do more tricks than just ride. I just don't know what size, brand, or specific style? Any help from you all would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Wakesurf
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:52 pm 
Team Axis

For shuvits and spins you probably want to go with a skim style board. I have a Phase5 Danielo Pro Carbon. It's a size L and I'm 190lb. It spins very easily but it's still possible to do small airs off the lip w it. I also really like the surf style boards though bc of their drive and carving. I'm lucky bc my brother is a surfboard shaper in Cali and I've had him shape me a couple boards that we've modeled after some existing wakesurf boards out there. He's currently shaping me a copy of shred stixx Hazen pro model. That board is a surf style board but can still be spun around. The surf style boards are a good choice to learn on and grow w bc they have a little more drive and buoyancy than the skim style. You can also change the feel of the surf style boards by switching around the fin set-up and sizes if they're a quad fin. More drive w grip, looser feel, tighter tail for carving, etc. The quad set up has a lot of fin options. I have a 4'8"x20.5" and a 5'x21" glassed surf style boards. The Hazen copy will be a 4'11" by 20.5". I've ridden a few of the compression molded surf boards that a lot of the wakeboard co's make and don't really like the feel. Just my opinion but the glassed boards feel better. They won't hold up as long though. Triple X surf and skim makes some affordable surf and skim style boards. Hope this helps some.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:07 pm 
Team Axis

I recommend the byerly volt. It's a bit wider and comes in a 4'10" length. It's a great all around board and will be perfect for learning but will also be great as you start to progress. The price is very reasonable too. Found it a few places for $329.

I've ridden it with a few different fin set-ups now and it rides completely different with each configuration.

Zak
2011 A22

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:09 am 
Team Axis

Thanks for all the tips, I'm going to grab a couple of boards from people around town and give them a shot but it's hard to argue with the $329 price!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

Try out a few Skim and a few surf style boards. Then figure out what type you want to ride. You are probably always going to have new riders on the boat so it never hurts to have a entry level surfboard on the boat. We sell CWB Rides, Broadcasts, Tsunamis, Cortez, and Ventures at http://www.Boardstop.com all the time at the $299-349 entry level price. Getting one of those now will never go to waste. Once you figure out what type you want then buy yourself a highend Phase5, Inland Surfer, Shred Stixx or other top of the line brand for yourself. then keep the beginners on the original $299-349 board.

Beginners on a high end board tend to - Run in to the back of the boat and crush the nose of your board, or miss the handle and put a HUGE dent in your $700 highend surfer, drop it on the platform and crush the tail. I;ve seen it all and shop boards have paid the price. So from experience I always let them ride a 'wakeboard' style construction board until they get the basics down and learn how to take care of pro level equipment.