It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Questions about stereo equipment
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:20 am 
Team Axis

I got my boat with no stereo last year to keep the costs down. I konw all of the drops are in place, and I've done many installs in cars. Obviously, this is a whole lot different.

First, it is a family boat, we've got young kids (2 y/o boy, 7 y/o twin girls), and my wife won't go for loud music. So, we won't be playing loud enough for anyone riding to hear it. Primarily, we'll probably use it when we stop for a swim or to eat (we have a lot of dinners on the boat in the Summer). Second, we don't listen to any bass-intense music, the sub serves to keep the midrange clean as much as anything. Classic rock, blues, and jazz, mostly. In cars, a single 10" sub was always sufficient.

Two sets of questions. First, what kind of power ratios are typical for the 6 main speakers versus tower speakers versus the sub? In other words, if I have 50 watts going to each main speaker, what do I need for the sub (e.g. 200 watts?)? What about the tower speakers? I would be inclined to assume I'll only go for a pair of tower speakers - again, this will primarily be for when we have the boat anchored and are swimming.

Second, I know the name Wetsounds, but I believe that stuff is a whole lot more expensive than I can justify at this point. Last time I did a car from the ground up (and its been a while!), I used Infinity Kappa speakers, subs, and amps. I know Infinity makes marine stuff, I don't know if it is junk or as good as their car stuff is (or at least was a decade ago). Are there any brands to absolutely avoid, or any good bang for buck brands?

I guess I do have a third question, a bit related to the first. I've seen some microphone input somewhere for tower speakers. I'd like to be able to use that as my kids are learning to ride. Any special considerations I need for that? I guess that may have an impact on the size amps I need for the tower speakers, and I suppose that wil trickle down into the rest of the system.

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Post subject: Questions about stereo equipment
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:31 pm 
Team Axis

I will leave the inside speakers for somebody more knowledgable, but for what you are looking for on tower speakers, the infinity 6100 m kit is perfect. It's speakers, an amp, and a mic for around 550. They don't get super loud, but I was satisfied with the quality and price. You can also control the tower speaker volume separate on the mic.

I have a pair of wetsounds rev 10s now... They are insane! If you decide to spend quite a bit more than 550, they kill it!

Post subject: Re: Questions about stereo equipment
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:49 pm 
Team Axis

I just upgraded my stereo well still in the process of waiting on my sub enclosure and I found you need a lot more sub and power in a boat vs a car due to it being wide open. There are quite a few good posts on some of the other forums like mailibucrew and wake world that can explain it better than I can. For your tower I would also look at Exiles SXTs they have great sound quality and are great for close to the boat. With an amp you are talking a lot more than $550. I currently have the stock MTX interiors with the MTX amp and they dont sound bad. But they are definalty the weak spot in my set up and will get replaced next year, a pair of Exile XM9s powered by a haroon (This are amazing and really look great on the tower) and with have and Exile XI 12 sub powered by and XI1500 and would love to tell you how it sounds but as I said earlier still waiting on the enclouser.

Post subject: Re: Questions about stereo equipment
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:46 pm 
Team Axis

For the cabins you can go with something like kicker ks65 or polk db651. I have used both and prefer the db651.
A 500w rms amp for a 10 or 12 (prefer 12) would work for the lows, but not be too loud.
Wetsounds (ws420) has an eq with mic, but on the tower speakers the rider will have a tough time hearing you with engine running at 18-22 and 60-65ft back. If they're surfing, the 6.5" speakers will work for tower.