It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 2015 Axis A22 Rolly/Flat Wakesurf Wave Problem
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:08 pm 

I run all stock hard tanks filled, with 750s in the back lockers, 650 in the front bow (which fills to probably 550lbs) and with 300-400lbs of people in the bow. I also fill a 750 under the surfside seat (maybe fills to 650) With 2-3 others in the back of the boat, surfgate deployed/wedge down (this is my max setup). The boat is still not on plane (its close- but im 6'6" and I cant see over the bow sitting down unless im scooted all the way forward in my seat with my back straight.) Big wake, most push. But the wake is still "rolly" and not "lippy" or steep at all.

If I have no one sitting in the front, 2-3 people in the back my boat doesn't plane out (obviously) and the wave is still "rolly" and not "lippy" with very little push and small... I dont get why my boat has a rolly wake and no lip to it. The only way I can get a lip to the wake is if I turn the boat in the opposite direction the wake is on. Example if someone is surfing on the right side, if I turn to the left, I get a great lip, huge wake, which ideally I want every time the boat is going straight, but I cant get it...

I want to know why the wake is so rolly from the swim platform to about 5ft back then you can start to see the lip forming. Then in the back the wake, it does curl. My white wash is waaaay off to the left side of the boat. Doing airs on this wake is tough, doing spins is fine. But I don't like how the wake looks/feels. Any help on why it looks like this? Please see pic.

****Additional info*****
Prop 2249
Motor 409HP

(Purchased a new prop 2315 and 500lbs of lead for the nose as well - have not tested this yet).

Attachments:
File comment: Boat in pic is loaded to roughly 5,500lbs.
Max Loaded.jpg
Max Loaded.jpg [ 193.15 KiB | Viewed 31915 times ]

Post subject: Re: 2015 Axis A22 Rolly/Flat Wakesurf Wave Problem
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:55 pm 
Team Axis

I think the "new" A22 (16 and up) probably surfs a little better. Weaker regular wave is a consistent malibu feature on the older hulls. That wave actually looks pretty good for what you have to work with.

Personally, I'd drop some weight in the rear till the bow comes down. All that rear weight is putting the propshaft at teh wrong angle and a more aggressive prop won't change much other than spinning higher RPMs and burning more fuel. With the underseat sack already full and 3 peeps in the bow, I'd be a little cautious on the lead placement at first. You could definitely turn your boat into a big water scoop if you aren't careful. Might try stacking the lead in the walkway and then moving it forward as you get comfortable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:57 pm 
Team Axis

I didn't see speed mentioned. How fast are you going and can you go faster or are you tapped out?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:05 pm 

ThatGuy wrote:
I didn't see speed mentioned. How fast are you going and can you go faster or are you tapped out?

11.2mph, I'm not topped out. I have tried 11.4 and the wake doesnt get any steaper in that area. Anything over 11.4 is too fast IMOP.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:23 pm 

shawndoggy wrote:
I think the "new" A22 (16 and up) probably surfs a little better. Weaker regular wave is a consistent malibu feature on the older hulls. That wave actually looks pretty good for what you have to work with.

Personally, I'd drop some weight in the rear till the bow comes down. All that rear weight is putting the propshaft at teh wrong angle and a more aggressive prop won't change much other than spinning higher RPMs and burning more fuel. With the underseat sack already full and 3 peeps in the bow, I'd be a little cautious on the lead placement at first. You could definitely turn your boat into a big water scoop if you aren't careful. Might try stacking the lead in the walkway and then moving it forward as you get comfortable.

Im not letting more ballast out to bring down the nose. I have tried that though, and the wake is 1/2 the size 2ft longer with no push what so ever. I'm not going to settle for a longboard use wake. I have the lead to move the people out of the nose and put them in the back adding more weight in the boat all-around. I have seen/read forums of people putting in 900s, and 1100s in their lockers and their wake looks lippy, and steep with the same boat/engine as mine (but with an aggressive prop). Why are more aggressive props designed then? To pull more weight and plane out the boat, right? I have seen 350s A20s with a steeper/lippier and just as long of a wake than mine...

I dont know if a more aggressive prop will burn more fuel. Best way i can describe it as my boat right now is busting a nut to plane out aka its working hard but its never fully planed. According to wakemakers if im over 3k pounds of additional weight i need a more aggressive prop. If i put an aggressive prop in there to make it easier to push the boat wont that cause me to use less gas or even the same amount? I dont know, Ill have to test my theory out... Right now im sitting at 3200RPMs surfing 11.2mph. We do 100% surfing right now but we may wakeboard sometime in the future again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:48 pm 
Team Axis

shawndoggy wrote:

2015 was the year they redesigned the hull. Unless there are 2015's that for some reason got the old hull OP has a current generation hull.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:54 pm 
Team Axis

vanamp wrote:
2015 was the year they redesigned the hull. Unless there are 2015's that for some reason got the old hull OP has a current generation hull.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

oops, my bad.

I think that wave actually looks pretty good for an A22.

I think bow weight is going to help some, and maybe even slowing down a little. like 10.8 or so. Faster makes the wave firmer, but it also makes the wave shape up farther from the swim platform, which seems to be one of the OP's complaints.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:12 pm 
Team Axis

I run the 409 with 2315.. you will use less gas then the 2249 in my experience. I run 500lbs of steel mid ship and 800 lbs bag next to driver (going back from there) and wedge down or up depending on what board im using. Here is the wave with 3 of us on the boat.. that said I like to surf faster.. I surf my soulcraft at 11.6-12.4 depending in the day. Boat almost rides flat in the water maybe nose up 12"Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:14 pm 
Team Axis

I would move your surf side weight to center of boat and drain the non surf rear bag a bit..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:14 am 
Team Axis

Why on earth are you running 750 under a seat to unevenly weight a surfgate boat that much?