It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Axis Extra ballast
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:53 am 
Site Admin

Here is a video of the extra ballast system in the Axis.

Post subject: Re: Axis Extra ballast
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:12 am 
Site Admin

I just ordered a set of the plug and play bags. Looks like the kit comes with the 3 bags and then 12 fittings. 6 regular flow rites and 6 elbow. Guess you just mix and match the flow rites to your area since not all the plug and play hardware in the boat will be exactly the same. I am going to need to get some hose clamps. anyone have a recommendation on clamps to use? The BFI clamps are not the correct size from what I was told.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:06 pm 
Axis Owner

I stated this in the General Discussion, but I just had the plug n play system installed last week, and ordered the bags. Besides from some issues with the dealership, i am having some issues with the system and the boat now.

First, all bags will fill, but not sure the tanks are filling.

Second; i can only drain the bow sac, not the right or left. It wont even drain anything. The only way the bags started to empty out was when I pull the boat out of the water, the holes underneath the boat were spewing water, and the bags were getting smaller. So, they wouldnt go out through the hoses.

Third...I had the bags full and about 9 people on the boat, and could not get the boat to plane and go faster than 12mph. The video about says that they had 2175lbs and 11 people. What could this be? Do i need a new prop? Or need to get the engine bored out or something for more power?

Any thoughts or explanations would help. Im pretty upset about the plug n play system not working properly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

When I had my VLX loaded down I had to have the 1235 in order to get the boat to plane. You can try pulling the wedge up but unless you have the power wedge you cannot drop it once on plane. We would sometimes have to have all the riders run to the bow to get it to plane and then it would get up and go.

Prop is probably the biggest problem since you have WAY more weight now. From what I have been told the 1235 is the one to use on the Axis also same as the Malibu. If you hear anything different let me know.

As for the draining.. I am not sure about that. I watched a dealer video of how to do the install and they did mention that you want to make sure run the hose as low as possible and trim any excess hose.

And did you get the hoses connected correctly?

On the connection area. The right hose becomes the drain and the left is the fill. Do this for both sides.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:03 pm 
Axis Owner

Well the sacs fill, so i would imagine i have the hoses connected correctly...The odd thing is that they only drain once up on the trailer, but not through the hoses...down through the water intake on the bottom of the hull.

Thanks for the advice on the prop. Do you think thats something i could install, or should i bring it to someone?

And, will the new prop effect wakesurfing? I see that the acme 1235 seems to be ideal on most forums, but what about the newer one? I think the 1237 or whatever?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:34 am 
Team Axis

The prop is very easy to take off and put on. You will need a prop puller.
Not sure where you are in SD but I go to elsinore quite a bit. If you get a new prop (and don't have a puller) I would be happy to meet you at the lake one weekend and help you pull the prop and put the new one on. Otherwise invest in a puller, if you go to the river, more then likely you will ding your prop one day and want to change it out... you will be glad you had the puller.

The 1235 is what I have on our boat and I have no complaints - it will pull the boarder easily out of the water with a ton of weight in the boat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

That is strange on the drain..

As for the prop.. It is pretty easy to get done.. I have done them with and without a prop puller...but when they are stuck and you do not have a prop puller....it sucks..

I have not heard of the 1237 but I can get any information about it from Acme if you need it.. Is this supposed to be the prop that Axis was testing just for the Axis boat?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:13 pm 
Axis Owner

I just got in the 1235. I will try it out tomorrow. As for the plug and play system, the dealer confessed to installing it wrong. The tanks are not filling at all...Just the bags. Everything is all messed up now. Super lame, cause they had my boat for a month, and didnt even get the right bags, and now i learn, didnt even install the system correctly. I need to find someone in San Diego that can work on this and fix it. Anyone have thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:39 pm 

man so sorry to hear all the problems. sounds like the dealer just dropped the ball on the install. i have no clue on who in cali can help out. if you cannot get it resolved i would contact axis direct and see if they can get a dealer to help you out. might be a drive but i would do it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:23 pm 
Axis Owner

Yeah. The situation is pretty disheartening.

I got a hold of Malibu to let them in on all the issues, and they were extremely concerned and might even be able to help.

Just disappointing...I dont get too many chances to ride, and now, I cannot even ride properly for the season it looks like. By the time all this gets remedied, it will be weeks.

Thanks for all the help from everyone who has replied thus far. Its great to see there is some passion in this sport and this boat.