It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: pull hard tanks and go bigger?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:59 pm 
Team Axis

Piranha 1100. This is a direct replacement for the stock piranha 800 in my boat. The intake is still 3/4", the housing is the same size. Just different motor and it has a 1" discharge.

The discharge hit my v drive housing when I tried to spin off the old one. I broke the 3/4" discharge then cut it with a hand saw so I could get it off. In order to get this one on, I cut the 3/4" intake threads down, from approx 1 1/2" long down to approx 3/4" long, hoping this would shorten it enough to allow the 1" discharge to slide under the v drive housing when I spun it on. It did not give enough clearance, so then I had to cut 1/4" off the discharge and I was able to spin it on.

Attachments:
sumo3.jpg
sumo3.jpg [ 198.5 KiB | Viewed 44242 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:04 pm 
Team Axis

Here is the 1100 installed, the 1" hose attached and ran up into the rear locker.

I used 1" hose, I could have used 1 1/8" hose and the hose would slide right onto the 1" discharge of this pump, but I had to use a heat gun to get it on all the way, good news is it is really on there tight, I used a hose clamp to secure it and thread sealant (in the 2nd picture) as well.

You will notice I pointed the pumps discharge towards the front of the boat, loop up into the void space of the removable fiberglass step/v drive cover, and then back into the locker. I did this because I am not using the U shaped valve to break the vacuum that can be created and drain your bag back through the fill line. I am using a one way valve, so the hose has to be able to move a little bit as the bag fills and drains. Also, pointing it back towards the rear gets a little crowded with a lot of other hoses, wires, mounts... etc.

Attachments:
sumo9.jpg
sumo9.jpg [ 166.2 KiB | Viewed 44242 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:13 pm 
Team Axis

here is the Tsunami 1200 "short" pump, and the adapter I made from Home Depot.

The tsunami 1200 has 2 options from wake makers. The "short" intake is 1", The "long" intake is 1 1/8. Both pumps have the same discharge, 1 1/8" thread. So I messed up, i should have ordered the "long" version and then I could have cut the intake down to any size I wanted. You can see in the picture of the pump the threaded adapter with hose connection. That adapter is 1 1/8" threads. I ordered 4 of them, 2 for each pump, but I can only use 1 of them per pump because the "short" intake pump needs a 1" thread adapter. Wakemakers does not sell a 1" threaded hose adapter, so I had to make one myself. (order the long pump and you will not need to make your own adapter)

So I got the short pump, was able to use one of the wake makers adapters on the discharge, and made an intake adapter (pictured). The 1" hose slid on my adapter no problem, but again, I had to use a heat gun to get the 1" hose on the wake makers hose adapter.

Attachments:
sumo1.jpg
sumo1.jpg [ 110.9 KiB | Viewed 44242 times ]
sumo2.jpg
sumo2.jpg [ 211.59 KiB | Viewed 44242 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:16 pm 
Team Axis

You can see above that the wake makers adapter is lined up with the intake, and you can probably tell that it is not going to fit, the intake port is obviously smaller than the discharge port. The adapter pictured is threaded with a rubber o ring inside, so it fits the discharge port perfectly and seals. Tsunami says they have "proprietary" threads so you need these adapters from them, but these threads are just standard threads used on PVC applications.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:23 pm 
Team Axis

Here is the drain pump installed with the sumo bag almost all the way full (it was the first filling so the bag is a little crooked, I will be able to straighten it the next time I fill). You can see that I used a 1"-1 1/8" elbow (they are the same, they fit either the 1" hose or 1 1/8" hose), then 6" of 1" hose attached to the intake side of the tsunami pump. I have the pump sitting in the lowest point of that little locker, up against the stringer, and have the discharge port and hose pointed up. The hose goes up into the engine compartment, then across the front of the locker (covered by the carpeted access cover) and then it is reduced down to 3/4" hose via the 3/4" to 1" hose reducer available at wake makers. I did this because I did not want to cut the drain thru hole bigger to accommodate a 1" fitting. I also did not want to have to try to find an adapter to fit onto the thru hole fitting. So i decided to leave the 3/4" thru hole fitting, leave about 1-2 feet of 3/4" hose, then cut the hose and install the reducer and connect to the new 1" hose.

I know it is slowing my drain a little by doing this, but I am telling you, the water comes out so fast and far now when I drain. I think my drain time was close to 15-20 minutes before, but now it is more like 5-10 minutes. My first on-water test, I will time the fill and drain times and report back. Whatever the time, I am very happy with the speed now. Especially the fill time.

Attachments:
sumo7.jpg
sumo7.jpg [ 86.83 KiB | Viewed 44242 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:34 pm 
Team Axis

Here is the bag pretty much full. You can see that I put the fill line on the forward port, and put the stock 3/4" vent line back to the rear port. I did it this way because I have a bunch of lead in my bow and my boat sits bow heavy, the front bag and center hard tank fill very fast and my rear sacks will be last to be full, and the hull starts to come upwards as it gets closer to the transom, so I figured the rear of the sack will be higher than the front of the sack, meaning the air in the sack will most likely be more towards the rear of the sack where I put the vent line.

You can see how much smaller the vent line hose is compared to the fill line. In my second picture I posted above, with all the parts, you will see 2 elbows in the little bags, those are the 1" elbows used for the fill line and drain line. There is one elbow not in the little bag, that is the 3/4" elbow that I needed to thread into these sacks. My fly high 3/4" elbows have 3/4" ports, so they would not work.

You can see in the other picture the sack is pretty much full, it does not even touch the carpeted cover in the locker. I did remove the little L bracket that is screwed into the bottom of the cover so that It will not puncture the sack, but it would not have hit it if I had left it. You can also see it does not put much pressure on the center divider. There is plenty of space on top of the full sack as well. A bit more than I had before.

So far I am very happy with everything. I will know more once I ride the wake, but based on that independent test done on wakeworld last year, my fly high was only 650 in my locker, and the Sumo 900 is 1000 lbs when full. So before I had 650 + 200 = 850. Now I have 1000. 300 more lbs in the rear, it should be noticeable when I ride it. I will report.

Only regret is not going with the tsunami 1200 LONG intake. Also, I am glad I went with my instincts and stayed with the piranhas for my intake. Looking at the tsunami, they would have been impossible to install as the intake pumps, I would have had to use a 3/4" to 1" increaser, then the tsunami "short" pump, but there is no way it would have threaded on, it is taller and wider than the piranhas.

Attachments:
sumo6.jpg
sumo6.jpg [ 135.44 KiB | Viewed 44242 times ]
sumo8.jpg
sumo8.jpg [ 90.86 KiB | Viewed 44242 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:05 pm 
Team Axis

Nice job Johnny I've been wanting to do this for a long time, but have been nervous to cut out the tanks. Do you have any pictures of the compartments with the tanks removed and no bags in them? I would like to see the floor under the bags.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:28 pm 
Team Axis

^ times 2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:23 pm 
Team Axis

I do not, but I will take pics of my port side when I pull my tanks sunday. I will post them up. They are just the inside of the hull, fiberglass, somewhat rough, like grip tape, not sanded smooth, not unfinished-rough. I will most likely use the plastic floor I pulled up and lay it down just so the sacks will sit on the plastic, but I do not think the bags would be damaged from the hull fiberglass.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:06 am 
Team Axis

The floor is obviously angled under the tank. How do you think that affects the bag's ability to fill to capacity?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next