It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Boat paint film protection
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:44 pm 

AJWest wrote:
Hope the shop uses a quality carpet when recovering the bunks. Are you going to repair the scratch marks or just cover them with the 3M?

From what they told me the carpet they use is an upgrade from mine and I am having the scratches buffed out. I alsowent a head and told them to install the 3m protection film on the hull and transom. I will keep everyone updated on how it works out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:26 am 
Team Axis

Crappy but not noticeable unless you are crawling around below the trailer.

Our boat has a couple similar scratches. We use a shallow, soft, sandy ramp. The sand gets stirred up when we back the trailer in to retrieve the boat and it settles on the bunks. The carpet traps the sand which scratches the hull as it slides over the bunks. Buff at the end of the season hides them pretty well. Wouldn't get too excited over it. Dark hulls are just bad for showing marks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:40 pm 

AJWest wrote:
T22rider wrote:
I have 3m on the back of the boat to protect it from geating beat up by boards. I ordered it through my dealer. It covers very well and is not noticeable unless you are looking for it. I figured it would help keep down the scratches from people putting boards on, or surfing when a rider falls backward and the board hits the back of the boat

Transom and platform I forgot about but yes that's a good idea if you wakeboard a lot. No one will care about your boat as much as you do so it's a good preventative measure. I did 3M on Moomba and Supras on the transom (easy to ding up the transom on those boats) but haven't on any of my Axis yet due to the shape of the transom and platform. I might look into it as well and see how bad the 3M can be noticed. Maybe not so much with a metal flake platform?

AJ I will post close ups of the film after I get my boat back, but from what I have read it really isnt noticable unless you point it out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:45 pm 

Vlinder wrote:
Crappy but not noticeable unless you are crawling around below the trailer.

Our boat has a couple similar scratches. We use a shallow, soft, sandy ramp. The sand gets stirred up when we back the trailer in to retrieve the boat and it settles on the bunks. The carpet traps the sand which scratches the hull as it slides over the bunks. Buff at the end of the season hides them pretty well. Wouldn't get too excited over it. Dark hulls are just bad for showing marks.

I had never thought of that. As I recall there is one ramp that we use on occasion that has some sand on it, that may be happening to me too. I will have to watchout for this in the future. I love the dark gelcoat but it shows everything.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:16 pm 
Team Axis

Definitely interested in seeing some pictures if you go for the film. I'm a little tired of having to give the swim platform so much attention at the end of the season... those raised edges from the surf gate are a magnet for board scratches haha.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:33 pm 

3FRule wrote:
Definitely interested in seeing some pictures if you go for the film. I'm a little tired of having to give the swim platform so much attention at the end of the season... those raised edges from the surf gate are a magnet for board scratches haha.

Next time I pull the boat from storage I will take pictures it has been a crazy couple of months for me at work so have not had the time to really take any pictures but I am happy so far with how the protection film came out. I decided to have them install the film on the bottom of the boat and the transom area. The shop I went to used what is called diamond shield there are a couple spots that are bubbled up on the transom but they told me those should go away in time (We will see). Other than the few bubbles under the film I am extremely happy.

As for the scratches on the bottom of the boat the shop was able to wet sand them out and apply the film on the bottom of the boat no problem looking at the film on the bottom I can hardly tell it is there. I apologize I don't have pictures right now but will try to get some on here this coming weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:01 pm 

Here are the pictures as promised

Attachments:
IMG_0081.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG [ 502.45 KiB | Viewed 24438 times ]
IMG_0080.JPG
IMG_0080.JPG [ 462.28 KiB | Viewed 24438 times ]
IMG_0079.JPG
IMG_0079.JPG [ 503.63 KiB | Viewed 24438 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:06 pm 

Here are a few pictures of the transom

Attachments:
IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG [ 403.46 KiB | Viewed 24438 times ]
File comment: As you can see in this picture there are some bubbles under the film. I think i saw a tool to push them out but, will have to do some more research on that.
IMG_0086.JPG
IMG_0086.JPG [ 498.74 KiB | Viewed 24438 times ]
IMG_0083.JPG
IMG_0083.JPG [ 441.77 KiB | Viewed 24438 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:12 pm 

Here are the last pictures of the back of the boat the film looks great besides the couple bubbles on the back which i think I can get out, but let me know what yall think.

Attachments:
IMG_0091.JPG
IMG_0091.JPG [ 401.91 KiB | Viewed 24438 times ]
IMG_0090.JPG
IMG_0090.JPG [ 349.69 KiB | Viewed 24438 times ]
IMG_0089.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG [ 410.75 KiB | Viewed 24438 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:32 am 
Team Axis

Where is a good place to buy the 3M film and can i install it myself? I want to install it on the transom and platform first to see how it works

Jim

Boat Name: Who's Next