It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Was this a mistake?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:37 am 
Team Axis

Let me start off by saying for the short period of time I've loved my A22 Vandall until well these past 2 weeks. Here is the background:
The first time I took the boat out the hose that returns water to the motor to keep it cool came unattached dumping water all over the motor and creating a ton of smoke. The bilge kicked on and overheat sensors went off. I turned the boat off and was able to fix it with a screwdriver and take it back to the dealer who said it checked out fine.
I had the 20 hour service completed and took it out a couple of weekends ago and the "service required" beep came on and the motor began to run real rough with white smoke coming from under the swim platform. I took it to the dealer who had it all week and had to replace both exhaust manifolds (due to them being cracked), all 02 sensors, and change the oil 3 times.
I took it out this past weekend for the first time since and drove it around just a little bit and boom same "service required' indicator. When stopped I could smell oil and gas and it was visible under the motor. It sounded so rough at idle like a rod was knocking
Now the boat is back at the dealer and who knows when I will get it back.
The boat has 31 hours. I should not be having these problems with a brand new boat. The dealer has been really supportive but I just feel like I have a lemon at this point. I don't know if i'm looking for answers other than I feel like maybe this was a mistake.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:42 am 
Team Axis

Just stay positive and hopefully your dealer will step up and get you going again!! Keep us posted

Post subject: Re: Was this a mistake?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:24 am 
Team Axis

Walter, That is what i'm trying to do. As we all know we had many choices prior to purchasing our Axis and it's hard not to have the feeling of maybe this was the wrong choice. I hate to bug my dealer about all my problems but of course I want the boat to work right. I'll keep everyone posted on the updates of the repair process and I hope no one else has to experience these problems.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:01 am 
Team Axis

My buddy cracked is exhaust manifold and it sounded, idled, smoked, and smelled just like you are describing. Dealer fixed it pretty fast and no problems since. His was a Malibu. Just trying to give you a little piece of mind that a similar thing has happened and the repair was made with your similar issues.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:12 am 
Team Axis

Both exhaust manifolds have already been replaced under warranty. Hopefully it is just a minor problem but due to the dealer saying there was an oil and water mixture the last time in i'm not feeling too optimistic. This will make 2 large repairs. 2 more away from the lemon law applying in TN.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:35 am 
Team Axis

Yeh, my buddies oil looked like chocolate milk too when he cracked everything. I saw the smoke and thought his boat was on fire.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:22 am 
Team Axis

It's possible that maybe one of the head gaskets blew, the symptoms are all too similar. Don't hang your head too low, just browse around on wakeworld and you will see some crazy stories similar to yours with every boat manufacturer, pretty much all wakeboats have the same power train these days, just a bunch of Chevy crate motors sold by different companies.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:17 pm 
Team Axis

Hats off to the dealer. New motor on the way.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:18 pm 
Team Axis

Does this make me the first 2012 A22 to have a motor replaced? I'm not sure i'm proud of this accomplishment if so. ha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:46 pm 
Team Axis

tnvandall. glad to hear your dealer stepped up for you. A brand new power plant... nice. so now does your boat have 31 hours, or 0? :)

just wondering, why or who left that hose clamp loose? was it a clamp failure? was it loose from factory? did you have that winterized? if from factory, then they screwed up as well as your dealer for not checking over everything like they are supposed to.

anyhow, glad you will be on the water soon and hopefully it is trouble free.