It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: One step closer to being the owner of a 2012 A20
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:00 pm 

The hard part is done. We are approved from the bank for our new purchase. Next step is to demo the boat. We will be surfing 70% wakeboarding 30%. We generally have 3-6 people out at a time. I'm most interested in wake size/shape for surfing/wakeboarding and fill/empty time of stock ballast and PNP ballast. We have been riding behind a '05 Calabria direct drive with 700 stock ballast and 1600 additional in sacs. My biggest complaint about current boat is how low the bow sits in the water with no passengers or ballast. All of the weight is in the rear and sides. The length of the wave is so small and requires you to be right behind the swim platform in order to ride without the rope. We're hoping to gain size, length, and push with the A20. I don't want to be making a poor choice with the A20 V.S. A22. I'm confined with my garage for storage limiting my options.
Is there anything else I should ask the salesman or look for with the boat? Has anyone experienced any problems with the 2012's that I should be concerned about? Also, there seems to be a wide price range between dealers. I got a quote from a dealer in WA that wants $59.9. The only additional features are option 2 stereo and carpet. The asking price for our boat is $49.9. What is the average price for this boat?

Post subject: Re: One step closer to being the owner of a 2012 A20
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:38 pm 
Boater

I just bought mine in eastern washington, A22 with quite a few options for $57,800ish plus tax.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:46 pm 
Team Axis

I was looking at the 20s because the price, ended up going with the a22 Vandall and couldn't be happier. The extra 2ft has come in handy more times then I would have thought.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:56 pm 
Team Axis

I also was looking at the A20 because of price, after riding in both boats I went with the A22. The extra room is great

Attachments:
attachment.png
attachment.png [ 142.5 KiB | Viewed 23397 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:17 pm 
Team Axis

do yourself a favor and drive both boats and see for yourself which one you like better, when you spend that much money you might as well make darn sure you like it, and see if they will let you test fit one in your garage, with the tower down it will fit through a 7' door

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:18 pm 
Axis Owner

We were out in a A20 this weekend and you wont be disappointed. It's a great boat and the wake like the A22 is quite adaptable to what ever riding you like to do. For surfing or wakeboarding both models work best with plenty of bow weight. As for the pricing between dealers. A lot of it has to do with their overhead and shipping costs. Some dealers quote retail pricing while others give you their best price from the start. They have a business to run just like many of us and they all have different cost to cover. Good luck on your boat search you wont go wrong with either of the Axis models.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:43 pm 
Team Axis

A22 should fit in standard garage tower down, tower supports off, platform off wedge down, and trailer neck folded with 6 inches to spare

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:30 pm 
Team Axis

Congrats...I have an a20 and love it. Thought about an a22, but rarely have more than 5 on my boat as many of my friends have rides of their own. Wakeboard wake is a little wider, but just as good. I'm 95 percent wb, 5 percent surf- but hope to change that this summer.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:53 pm 
Team Axis

I'm also an A20 owner, and I love mine. The only thing I would've done differently is go with the 400HP instead of the 335. This is only because I am an experienced rider and like the wake as big as humanly possible. However, I have seen some folks put lead weight in the bow behind the front cushion (300lbs or so) and that helps greatly with planing. Just so you're aware of how far I'm pushing it, here's my setup:

*750lb PnP bag in front (stretches to 950): Full
*Center hardtank: Full
*Rear hard tanks: Full
*2 x 750lb PnP bags in rear (stretches to 950): between half and 3/4 depending on how many people are in the boat.
*Wedge down

The stock PnP bags can all be filled with the 335HP and you'll plane just fine I imagine, I just went with the 750s for the biggest wake possible my poor little engine can handle. For wake surfing though, it's fine, since you don't really need to plane.

As far as space with the interior, I have had 11 people in the boat and it still felt plenty spacious for being 20 feet, I was pretty impressed! Agreed on what everyone here is saying though, make sure it's what you want. If I could do it again I would've bought a Vandall :P

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:27 pm 
Team Axis

Luper,

Regarding the price quotes, it seems that different dealers have different prices for the exact same boat. I went through this when I purchased my 2012 A22. I was quoted one price at one dealer and another price at another dealer for exact the same boat I wanted built. The dealer I bought my A22 from was $4,000 less then the closer dealer. The quote of $59,900 for a A20 with only a few options seems very high. I purchased a fully loaded A22 for $58,150 out the door (tax, prep, ext). Check around and good luck.