It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: A little disappointed.
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:11 pm 

I just purchased my A22 it has the stock pnp (550) in the rear and even with the wedge down the wake wasn't what I had hoped for, I would like to stick to the 550s and not have to purchase the 750s. Is there anything I can do? I thought about adding 400lbs of lead to the bow because I've read they like bow weight. Thanks for the help.

Post subject: Re: A little disappointed.
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:46 am 
Team Axis

A little bit more info would help.

What 550's are you using?
Do you have the front PNP bag 950, if so are you running it full?
Are your stock tanks working properly, are they completely full?
How deep of water are you riding in?
Did you calibrate your speedo/cruise using gps. First time riding new wake/new boats makes it hard to know if speed is correct, so an accurate speedo will help. (what speed did it say and what rope length?)

stock, 550's full, wedge down should produce a really nice wake, as long as you have more bow weight than stock. ELC on here runs the wedge, stock ballast, 400's not even full, and front pnp bag around 1/2 and the wake is really really good. But this boat ABSOLUTELY needs bow weight. it needs as much bow weight as it has in the rear, and if using the wedge, even more would be needed. The more weight up front, the more firm the wake gets, giving you a lot of pop, even on a wake that is rampy such as the axis or malibus.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:43 am 

I am using the 400 in the rear just filled completely and yes the tanks are filling. The bow has the extra sac but prob only filled 1/2 of the way because of room under there.

Water depth around 30 feet.

And yes the speed was off. I had to up it by 2.5, I was riding around 22 mph exactly I did notice the wake get a little poppy at 21 mph.

My rope is 74 feet I think a little too short by around 3-5 feet?
Thanks,
Justin

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:32 am 
Team Axis

I think a lot has to do with what you are comfortable with. I learned and have been riding behind a 85 Mastercraft converted into a wake boat and when I got behind the A22, it was WOW! I am still running stock ballast (no PNP) @ 22-23mph @ 70-75ft but I always run the wedge down-it seems to give that extra straight up pop-We also have 4-6 in the boat most days and you do have to move people around to get the wake balanced.
Johnny probably has more knowledge on Axis wake. I think he ride/tows a lot of pros/semipros, but I have had guys who ride Tiges/Xstars/Supras etc and all have been impressed with the Axis. So play around with the weight,speed,rope length, and wedge and I think you will find the sweet spot.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:49 am 
Team Axis

What are the characteristics that have you disappointed? If you tell us what you don't like, we may be able to make suggestions to adjust the characteristics of the wake.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:12 am 
Team Axis

+1 what ed said. what wake/boat are you coming from or used to?

Also, what do you mean by "poppy"... lippy? washing out? temperamental from side to side? if so speed it up a tad and add bow weight.

From what you have said, 73 feet line at 22 mph should put you at the right spot on the wake, but only you will know that. You said "22 exactly" so I assume you had gps. At that speed with the weight you have and wedge, and the depth you are in, your wake should be really big...

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:01 am 

Thanks for the advice guys, I just bought a 80 foot rope that should help and I added 180 lbs to the bow.
My last boat was a 2001 ski nautique with around 2000 lbs and I loved that wake just not very wide wake.
Now I'm having engine problem so it might be awhile before I can test it out.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:26 am 
Team Axis

Got it, 2001 ski nautique. That makes sense now. The axis' wake is a polar opposite to that nautique you are used to. 1st, 2000 lbs is a lot of weight in your 2001, but in comparison is nothing in the A22 because it is so much wider and longer. 2nd, that nautique's wake is a curb, the A22 is a ramp, so the "pop" won't be there on the a22 until you learn the timing, it has a long transition and you have to be patient. once you get the timing, you will be loving it. the good thing about rampy wakes is that they are easily manageable, not temperamental at all. so where in your nasty, if someone reached for a drink while you were riding, you would see it in your wake as it may wash out, with the a22, someone can stand up and move to the opposite side and you probably will not even notice it in the wake 3rd. you need a lot of weight in the axis because it is so big AND its a V-drive so it needs more bow weight than a direct drive, on top of all that, it is a MALIBU, and they really really like bow weight.

good news is the wake on the axis are very clean at low speeds, even when weighted heavily. you should be able to dump another 1000 lbs over what you are running and still be clean at 22mph. thats assuming your actual speed is 22 and you have proper weight ratio front to back.

I saw your engine problem in another thread. Hopefully that is a quick fix so you can go experiment soon (and take pictures if you can so we can see your wake)

Last edited by Johnnydefacto on Sun May 13, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:27 am 
Team Axis

* in your nauty... not nasty. auto correct is not that cool.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

I had a 2001 in the past. You do get a boost off that lip on the old Naut 2001.