It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Weight and Towing
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:55 pm 

elc wrote:
Its a gamble. I towed my a22 with an 08 tahoe 5.3 for about a year and then had tranny problems. But I towed in 100 degree heat on steep grades. I sold that truck after GM did the warranty work on it.

Well crap! I have a 08 Tahoe and that would be my tow vehicle. We don't have many hills here in Kansas though. I tow my crownline very easily with it. My guess is the a22 will be a little over 1000lbs more. Was yours a 4 wheel drive?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:43 pm 
Team Axis

mrnate450r wrote:
elc wrote:
Its a gamble. I towed my a22 with an 08 tahoe 5.3 for about a year and then had tranny problems. But I towed in 100 degree heat on steep grades. I sold that truck after GM did the warranty work on it.

Well crap! I have a 08 Tahoe and that would be my tow vehicle. We don't have many hills here in Kansas though. I tow my crownline very easily with it. My guess is the a22 will be a little over 1000lbs more. Was yours a 4 wheel drive?

I know it was the extreme heat and steep hills that killed it. When towing 15 miles locally, it was a great truck. I would not be concerned unless you have long steep grades and heat. I am sure 80% of the guys that tow these boats do so with a half ton truck... in my case it just did not cut it. I now tow about a mile to a lake and would be extremely confident towing the a22 with pretty much any truck with a v8.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:53 am 
Team Axis

I don't tow my axis, but for the last boat which was at the limit I always added a dedicated transmission cooler and changed the transmission filter 2x the recommended interval for my tow vehicles. Cheap insurance.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:51 pm 
Team Axis

When I first got my a22 I had a 09 gmc 1500 4x4. Pulled like crap! In gm's quest to get the best in class fuel mileage they put 3.42 rear ends in these trucks and killed the pulling I know they are rated for like 9200 pounds but I couldn't imagine trying to pull that weight with my old truck. I trade that truck for a duramax an there is no turning back!!!!! I will probably buy a diesel for now on.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:00 pm 
Team Axis

firefighter_854 wrote:
When I first got my a22 I had a 09 gmc 1500 4x4. Pulled like crap! In gm's quest to get the best in class fuel mileage they put 3.42 rear ends in these trucks and killed the pulling I know they are rated for like 9200 pounds but I couldn't imagine trying to pull that weight with my old truck. I trade that truck for a duramax an there is no turning back!!!!! I will probably buy a diesel for now on.

I hear ya, I've been pulling mine with an 04' duramax and will hopefully never go back to a gas burner. I only get 11mpg pulling it but you don't even realize its back there!!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:10 pm 
Team Axis

I am the other way around I had a Duramax now I have a 1500 Z71. Pulled my Axis 7 hours with it and 2 times a week about 20 miles no problems yet.