It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Problems backing up the trailer!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:45 am 

I just picked up my new 2012 Axis A22!!!!!! And it really looks awesome! I can't wait to put it in the water and ride!!!!!!!!!!

But I have a problem. When I try to back up and turn the trailer, the wheels lock up. But when I back up in a straight line, no problems. Why is this occurring? And how do I solve this issue?

Thanks,
Philip

Post subject: Re: Problems backing up the trailer!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:07 am 
Boater

Phillip,

Your trailer has disc brakes on it, and they work extremely well. Due to this, along with the fact that boat trailers use a surge brake actuator, when you try to back up the actuator in the tongue of the trailer compresses and applies the brakes. This is a properly functioning system.
To get around this and allow trailers to back up, there is a blue wire from a bypass solenoid on the brake actuator that is wired into the trailer plug. This pin should be getting power from the tow vehicle plug when the tow vehicle is placed into reverse and the reverse lights come on.

Depending on your tow vehicle, there are a few things that may be causing no power to the solenoid.
- No fuse in the "trailer back up lamps" slot
- No ground, or insufficient ground between tow vehicle and trailer.
- If using a flat-5 trailer connector, perhaps you are connecting to a flat-4 and leaving the 5th pin hanging out? (This is the backup release pin)

I would first check to see if there was 12 volts at the tow vehicle plug when the vehicle back up lights were on. If not, you need to get power there. If there is, then check to make sure there is a good ground between trailer and truck. (Bad grounds are the number one electrical problem on any trailer)

If by chance all that works out but it doesn't release, connect 12volts directly to the trailer plug on the blue wire, which is the back up connection. Connect a ground to the white wire or to clean metal on the trailer (unpainted). You will hear the solenoid click on/off every time you connect power.

Hope that helps,
Peter

peter@smoothwatersports.com
Facebook

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:53 am 
Team Axis

Hi Philip, congratulations on the new boat.

Your documentation package should have also included a tailer manual and with that a brake lock-out key. Here's an image of that - http://www.boatmateparts.com/products/i ... 2&&USERID=. You can use it to manually disable the actuator until you have an electrical solution.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:45 am 
Team Axis

I'm not sure but if you are not having a problem backing it in a straight line then the electical override may not be the problem. Check the trailer break away line (I'm not sure if that is the technical name for it, but it is the braided cable that connects to the vehicle in case the trailer pulls from the hitch it pulls to activate the trailer brakes) to make sure that it is not getting pulled too tight while you are turning.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:27 pm 
Team Axis

My bet is on the trailer plug not making contact on the back up connection. If you don't have the brake lock out key, you can always take 4 pennies (2 on each side) and place them in there with some duct tape for emergency.
I had to do this due to how late it was with work in the morning. Hope you get it worked out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:24 pm 
Team Axis

I'm having the same problem. I tried hooking the voltmeter to the backup lights on the trailer plug on my truck, and when I was in reverse, I wasn't getting a reading on ANY of the plugs. I'm guessing it's a bad ground, because my running lights, brake lights and turn signals all work when it's plugged to the trailer. I'll try to get a 12V power source and run it into the center plug on the trailer plug and listen for the solenoid.

Thanks for the help Peter!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:29 pm 
Team Axis

It does not sound like a bad ground if the other lights are working. You ususally ground through the ball hitch more than anything. If your lights are not working correct me if I am wrong. You are not getting 12 volts to your reverse terminal. You will have to find the fuse that provides power. I believe that Ford Lightning was yours... I know from experience the plug outlet wiring does go bad frequently on those trucks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:18 pm 
Team Axis

Gibster786 wrote:
It does not sound like a bad ground if the other lights are working. You ususally ground through the ball hitch more than anything. If your lights are not working correct me if I am wrong. You are not getting 12 volts to your reverse terminal. You will have to find the fuse that provides power. I believe that Ford Lightning was yours... I know from experience the plug outlet wiring does go bad frequently on those trucks.

Yeah I was thinking about it more later today and you're right, it's probably not a ground issue. Correct, reverse lights do not show up on the trailer when I throw the truck in reverse. I have had issues with fuses before on my Lightning so it would not surprise me if this were the issue. I'll definitely check that out along with the wiring...thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

I was always blowing the fuse in my Ford. I bumped it up from a 10 to a 15 and it corrected the problem. See if you have the problem with another tow vehicle.