It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Inboat Battery Charger ?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:30 pm 
Team Axis

I want to install an inboat charger. Im not sure where in the passenger locker to install it or which is the best way to attach UT without going all the way through the fiber glass.

Post subject: Re: Inboat Battery Charger ?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:15 pm 
Team Axis

Good question...I am also looking into this as part of adding my 2nd battery. I have a factory switch, but 3rd season seamed like a good time to add some insurance. Do I need 2 chargers to handle two batteries? I still need to google all this, but if any one has a suggestion or worked out a solution, I would love to hear it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:45 pm 
Team Axis

Buy a good dual bank charger and you'll be fine, about $150 should cover it. Easy install and hook up.. and just plug it in when not in use or after a day at the lake to insure the batteries are ready for the next trip.

If you do a little searching on this forum, youll find more details and I think I even downloaded a picture of my setup once.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:54 pm 
Team Axis

There are 2 ways to do it I've seen. Drill into the backside fiberglass (it will be hidden by cushion in bow) or you can cut some pieces of carpet (say 2"x2"), glue some wood blocks to fiberglass and then mount/drill the onboard charging solution to them. If you have room on your amp rack, that could be an option too.

I went with a prosport 20plus. Two group 29's for stereo and a group 24 for starter. I have my perko switch just to the right of Prosport in pic (can't see Perko)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:08 pm 
Team Axis

Morrisdl- Id go with something like a prosport20 if you're looking at that manufacturer. 20amps per bank (2 bank charger). You can get a one bank charger, but then you have to make sure your battery selector switch is on 'combined' or 'all' and the charger will see it as one big battery and it will take longer to charge.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:38 pm 
Team Axis

I have 4 batteries in my boat and I also use a ProMariner charger for the 3 stereo batteries and then a small Ctek charger for the starting battery.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:57 pm 
Team Axis

How many watts (RMS, not peak) are you pushing AJ? What/how many amps and what size batteries? If they're >27's that's a long day at the party cove bangin away!

Post up some pics of your leds in a new thread.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:17 pm 
Team Axis

nastya20 wrote:
How many watts (RMS, not peak) are you pushing AJ? What/how many amps and what size batteries? If they're >27's that's a long day at the party cove bangin away!

I'm just running 1300 watts. The stock 2 amps plus two JL G1300's for the Bullet HP770 towers. I added the third stereo battery for the extra power of the transom LEDs. I'd rather be safe than sorry. The stereo bank are Interstate group 29. I should pick up the boat this week sometime so when I get in the water I'll post up pics. The water might be a little dirty due to these massive storms hitting us but hopefully should clear up to show full effect. I'm also installing 5 strips of RGB LEDs under seats, gunwale, and dash when I get the boat back

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:21 pm 
Team Axis

Nasty thanks for the Pic and advice. I like the wood block idea not do keen on drilling holes in the fiber glass.

Thanks to everyone else for the advice!

Now the dealer just needs to get done with her so I can pick her up. Some dumby (me) wanted red under seat lights and they are on back order. lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:25 pm 
Team Axis

AJWest wrote:
nastya20 wrote:

I'm just running 1300 watts. The stock 2 amps plus two JL G1300's for the Bullet HP770 towers. I added the third stereo battery for the extra power of the transom LEDs. I'd rather be safe than sorry. The stereo bank are Interstate group 29. I should pick up the boat this week sometime so when I get in the water I'll post up pics. The water might be a little dirty due to these massive storms hitting us but hopefully should clear up to show full effect. I'm also installing 5 strips of RGB LEDs under seats, gunwale, and dash when I get the boat back

Hmm hope I have enough Batt power. I will have the stock amp for the cabins, 1500w for the sub and 700w for the tower speakers (Exile install will be in another thread). I have no idea whats in the boat for bats other there are two of them. Im guessing two of what ever came stock. Do I need more?