It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Looking at A22
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:39 pm 
Team Axis

I am currently riding behind a 2001 tire 21v running 2500lbs of ballast. I would say our group is just getting into the intermediate skill level with a few inverts.

I am looking at the A22 since they are affordable for us younger people. Basically what I need is big ballast, speed control, and a banging stereo.

98% of our riding is in salt water so Is there anyone with the salt series boat out there. How is the paint over galvanized trailer? How does the upholstery stitching hold up?

Also, what is the best weight setup? I know about the php bags but what is better in the rear 750 0r 400 with the wedge down?

Here is a pic of our wake now, its a lil mushy but we just power through it.

We are by no means wealthy, so what is the average or lowest price you've seen a a22 go for, with basic features. Also, how much are your monthly payments.

Post subject: Re: Looking at A22
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:07 pm 
Team Axis

Welcome to the forum, I was in a similar situation as yourself a year ago.

I bought a used 98 tige 22v as my first boat. Put a few years on it and had about 3300lbs. It was a great boat, but I was ready for something more.

I wanted a new/newer boat with the ability to have a ton of ballast on switches, no more fat sacks and pumps all over the place, speed control, and a great price. Long story short, I found Axis and bought a new A22. I loved the wake because it was similar to my tige, and exactly like the 07 vlx i rode behind often. I put 750's in the rear lockers. ELC on here has the 400's in the lockers, 950 bow sack, wedge, and stock ballast and his wake is better than my tige with 3300 lbs. Pictures of wakes are strange and normally do not do the wakes justice, making them look smaller than they are. This is especially true in regards to rampy wakes (as opposed to steep wakes, nautiques, epic, moomba, supra, mb...) but by looking at your wake, you will love the axis with 400's and wedge. I would spring the extra $100 for the 750's though.

As for price. to keep it low i bought my boat without a stereo and without the wedge (wedge is personal preference) standard trailer, no extra anything. Just plug n play, chillax seats, standard board racks, depth finder, upgraded prop... you can get a new a22 for under 50k doing this way if you order it new. However, you can find left over 2011's for under 50k that have the wedge and stereos.

payment will depend on your credit and interest rate you get, and how long your loan is for. my loan is 7 years, most guys take it out to 10-12 or even 15 years to keep the payment low. used boat loan interest rates are usually higher than buying new, and my credit union's interest rate was way better than the rate the dealer was offering.

good luck and have fun. you will love the wake.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:25 pm 
Team Axis

Yea thats what ill probably do is find a new boat thats a 2011 or 2010 left over. As far as the engine though, is the base engine fine for just the regular PNP. How is that high alt prop or the 5 blade? I don't mind cruising 25mph on the lake all day.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:53 pm 
Team Axis

I am not sure you will find a new 2010... I haven't seen one on the web. You may find a used 2010 for low to mid 40s.

I have had my boat for over two years and the upholstery has held up fine. I am still stoked on Axis and would purchase another one. The boat throws an awesome wake that is easy to scale... from 16 mph with little weight for beginners to 25 mph with a ton of weight. It handles like a malibu (very responsive with weight). And has a lot of space.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:46 pm 
Team Axis

We have a boat show coming up in OC in may, what kind of deals have you seen at shows?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:03 pm 
Team Axis

Base motor will be fine with wedge, stock ballast and pnp up to 750 bags. Go with the oj core or cinco prop. Most dealer ordered boats i have seen have the high alt prop. The 335 base motor will struggle if you put more than the 400s in the rear lockers.

I have the base motor, 4k in ballast, no wedge, riding at 900 feet elevation. The high alt prop will most likely not get it up, i dontknow cuz i ordered mine with the core prop. I have a cinco 5 blade on my bench waiting to b put on my boat tomorrow. I usually ride with full gas tank and 2 or 3 adults and one kid... the 335 does the job but takes a bit to get up to speed if i have more passengers. Elc has the 400 motor and has a little less weight than me and has driven my boat. He can tell u the 400 is a great motor and doesnt need the cinco or core prop like the 335 does. If i could have gotten the 400 motor upgrade for free i would have, but i am happy with my setup

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:32 pm 
Team Axis

The 400 is a nice to have but not needed unless you are running a ton weight plus the wedge. I drove johns boat with three adults plus a kid and the boat planes fine and handles great (even with all the weight he has).
IMO - unless you are at a higher altitude, the 335 and the right prop fits most buyers needs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:51 pm 
Team Axis

Im sure it will be night and day compared to the 350 that in my tige now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:04 pm 
Team Axis

you should easily be able to have 3500lbs of ballast plus a small crew on a 335 engine and a Cinco prop.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:10 pm 
Team Axis

I know for a fact you can get a 2010 with super low hours for the low 40s. Well at least until the weather got nice...lol