It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Centering on trailer help
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:54 am 

2020 A22 is my first v-drive boat. To say that learning to trailer this boat after many I/O and Outboard boats is difficult is an understatement. I've gotten the hang of getting it onto the trailer the first time, but I'm having trouble with getting the back of the boat centered on the trailer. The only way I have been successful is by having two people in the boat applying equal pressure on the guide poles and maintaining equal distance between the boat and guide poles while I ratchet the boat all the way up and pull it out of the water. It's never successful on the first try and I look like an idiot (most of the time anyway) backing the boat back into the water several times trying to get the boat centered on the trailer boards. Is there a trick to this that guys with more experience know that will help? Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Centering on trailer help
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:32 am 

I believe you're backing the trailer to deep in the water. Make sure either a 1/4 length of the bunks are exposed or a couple inches of the fenders are visible above the water line.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:40 am 

schwarzfj wrote:
I believe you're backing the trailer to deep in the water. Make sure either a 1/4 length of the bunks are exposed or a couple inches of the fenders are visible above the water line.

I will give that a try in the spring when I get it back in the water. Thanks for replying. I'm sure most people think this was a really stupid question.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:18 am 
Site Admin

I think that is good advice. I try to have the tops of the fenders above the waterline. If you get really deep the boat can float out of position.