It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Kirkland/CostCo Oil????
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:41 am 
Team Axis

Disclaimer I am by no means an engineer nor do I claim to be, but I am extremely curious since doing these oil changes are really easy.

I know there have been an insane amount of threads as to what brand of oil people use since this is the cheapest form of insurance on these motors that we beat on. It really seems like the Ford/Chevy/Ram/GMC truck talk that goes in circles. My dealer currently uses 5W-30 Mobil 1 Synthetic in our 2019 A24 with the 409. Since I am likely going to have two oil changes this summer with the hours that we will do I am going to do the two summer changes and came across Kirkland branded SAE 5W-30 which is Dexos approved gen2. A quick google lead me to Warren distributors making the stuff but I haven't confirmed that.

Tech specs from the website copied and pasted- For use in gasoline, flex-fuel or gasoline-electric hybrid vehicles requiring SAE 5W-30 API SN PLUS, SN, SL and ILSAC GF-5, GF-4 or previous standards. Approved for use in all GM gasoline engines requiring dexos1™ Gen 2 5W-30.

Has anyone tried the stuff out?? Online it is $29.99 for 10 quarts - $2.99 a quart it insanely cheap. For comparison the Mobil 1 that I just bought for this oil change came out to be $57.90 for 10 quarts - $5.79 a quart which is still a great price (it was on sale). Might even do my truck's oil changes again at these prices.

I am all for spending $30 extra bucks for an oil change if the stuff is that much better, just curious peoples thoughts or if anyone has tried the stuff.