It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: No water in cooling system
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:24 am 
Boater

Ok... going to do my best to be as detailed as possible.

Boat is a 2009 A22 with the Indmar 5.7 335

Took the boat out 4 weeks ago for first run of the season. Ran the boat in the drive way using the Perko Flush Pro that was on it when I bought it and it ran fine in the driveway. I did notice this sound seen in this video (not my actual boat but the same sound):

https://youtu.be/YFz4NXMremU

This sound started 2 years ago and would go away after a few minutes of running. It took a little longer, probably 10 minutes this go but eventually went away. My hunch is this is the bearings in the water circulating pump going bad. I have ordered a new circulating pump to install. The boat ran fine for 2 seasons with this sound so this is more of a side note. I would like to know if anyone else has seen this, or get opinions if my hunch is correct. The thread this video came from can be found here: https://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/disc ... r-5-7-jody. Anyway, back to my problem.

After launch and idling around the dock, I got the alarm for temp. Started running across the lake and she cooled off just fine. Rode around for 20 minutes no problems. I stop and start idling again and temp rises. Try to run it and it stays up. The temp seemed to stay high for the remainder of the time on the lake - which was not long as I realized something was wrong. Temp got up to 200 but not for long. I get it home and check the impeller - which I changed every year but not this year, yet. Noticed that the outer edges seemed a bit chewed up so I ordered a new one - which I have not seen before from my boat. Also thought that the thermostat might be my problem, pulled it out and it looked a little rusted so ordered a new one of those. Fast forward to this past week - installed thermostat and new impeller.

Confident I have fixed the problem, take off to the lake one afternoon after work. Being cautious, I launch and stay around the dock and let it warm up. Same clanking noise as the above video that goes away after a few minutes. Watching the temp gauge, it starts going above 170, and the thermostat is a 160 degree thermostat. I open the hatches, and notice the impeller housing (raw water pump) was smoking just a little (maybe a little steam). I feel it and it was really warm, more like hot. I feel of the hoses going to the thermostat(and from the raw water pump) and I don't feel much pressure on them or water flow, and am starting to think there is no water in the system. I glance as the Perko Flush and I don't see any water running through it either. I check the valve on the inlet to the bottom of the hull and its open - I never close it. I pull the boat out to check and see if the inlet is obstructed and it didn't appear to be. Tried to run a stick in it and it wouldn't go to far as it was hitting brass, but I don't believe that the problem is here, but not for certain what I should see when looking up into the intake valve. My boat is stored in a closed off shop, and I have no bugs or rodent problems so I again don't believe there is a problem with the intake being clogged.

This is where I am at. I am not sure what the problem is, but I feel pretty sure that it is not sucking water. I understand that the raw water pump acts as a vacuum to provide water to the circulating pump. I believe that the reason my impeller (before changing) was chewed up is because it was running dry and got hot/chewed up on the outher edges. I also believe that the heat/smoke I noticed coming from the raw water pump after going back to the water this past week, as well as not seeing any water in the Perko, was due to lack of water flow.

What is my next step? Check hoses for debris? Why is water not getting to the raw water pump?

Thanks for the help, sorry for the long post.

Post subject: Re: No water in cooling system
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:53 pm 
Team Axis

Did you try running the hose to the perko valve again and see if water is getting all the way through to the water pump and there is no blockage. Maybe you should take of the hoses to the water pump and check with a fish tape

Any chance you left the little perko valve black plastic connector inside the perko valve and it is blocking incoming lake water

Or is the perko valve just needing to be replaced because it is stuck closed

Boat Name: Who's Next

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:10 pm 
Boater

Thanks Jim.

The Perko accepts a regular garden hose - so no adapter. I guess it is possible that the Perko is now close shut as I understand they are supposed to be 1 way valves.

I plan to replace the circulating pump and will try and check the hoses as you suggested. Gonna order a fish tape.

Thanks again. Hope to get additional input.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:18 am 

i would be less concerned with the overheating at the moment...and MUCH more concerned with the sound. that is a mechanical metal failure sound. ignoring it is not going to end well. Can you tell where its originating? You can put a piece of rubber tube to your ear and use the other end to "probe" around the engine to find the source. Seriously, that sound would terrify me.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:57 am 
Boater

I'm pretty sure the noise in coming from the pump. Will advise when I get it changed out.