It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Trailer surge brakes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:02 pm 

Hello, I have a 2012 axis A20 on a single axle trailer. The surge brakes definitely work, I can tell anytime I back up any incline. I am not super familiar with what I am looking at when it comes to surge brakes, just how they work. Do these trailers have a reverse lockout solenoid in them? That I could look at troubleshooting/replacing. Or is putting a lockout key in the slot on the tongue the only way to get by this? Looking for a way to back into my driveway without having to go lock out the tongue. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Trailer surge brakes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:14 pm 
Team Axis

You have to have your trailer lights plugged in to stop the brakes from engaging when you put your tow vehicle into reverse. If you have the lights plugged in and you are having trouble then you can check a couple of items. First, when in reverse, make sure your trailer is showing white reverse lights. If they are, then the trailer shouldn't be the problem in my experience.
Then the issue may be with your vehicle. An easy way to check would be with a different tow vehicle. If the problem is your vehicle you likely have an electrical issue. Check your fuse and relay system. I had a relay out on my truck.

Post subject: Trailer surge brakes
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:10 am 
Boater

I was having issues too. Then, I looked at the electrical connection in the plug. There was some film buildup/mineral deposit. I wire brushed it and added a little dielectric grease and had no issues this season. Maybe take a look at the connections. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk