It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Surf style board recommendations? post Corrected!!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:58 pm 
Team Axis

Hi i have been through several boards from inexpensive to now very expensive for me hyperlite shim, ronix carbon power tail, honeycomb surf skim. surf pickle...

I admit at the time i was not really good if any of these boards are great. I just didn't seem to love any of them.

Currently riding a model x phase five.an a XB. both are great boards but it seems that even at the price the model x is just an intermediate board and a directional board. I was assuming all skim style boards would be good for riding both ways. These boards both are very fast and fun..but looking for a different ride.

I called phase 5 and they said that i might want to look at a surf style board for a completely different experience and the ability to get air off the wave.

Does anyone on have surf style knowledge they can impart do to the general lack of real information online.

I am looking at spending some money on a surf style board but am afraid it will be slow.

Phase 5 guy said the AHI was a great board. Anyone ride it? any other suggestions. Im 5.*8 175 lbs.

thanks

Last edited by buffaxis on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Surf style vs Skim style boards help!!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:29 pm 
Team Axis

There's a lot going on it this post.

The model X looks like a skim-hybrid (skim shape, but fang tail and three fins)

Surf style -- go custom. Soulcraft, Chaos, Brigade, etc. These boards have much more volume, and big fins. Are they "slow"? If you just stand there they can be. But those big fins will create a ton of fwd thrust if you pump the board. So "slow" depends on whether you know how to generate speed.

Personally, I have two boards, a soulcraft fang tail and a victoria factor pcx. Pure surf/pure skim. They ride totally differently from one another and each is fun in its own right. I never got any air till I got a soulcraft, but once I learned to get air I can get the skimboard airborne too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:14 pm 
Team Axis

sorry for all the info. yes the model x seems to be a hybrid it does have the surf type rear but sits low in the water. I will check out the soul craft boards thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:38 am 
Team Axis

shawndoggy wrote:
There's a lot going on it this post.

The model X looks like a skim-hybrid (skim shape, but fang tail and three fins)

Surf style -- go custom. Soulcraft, Chaos, Brigade, etc. These boards have much more volume, and big fins. Are they "slow"? If you just stand there they can be. But those big fins will create a ton of fwd thrust if you pump the board. So "slow" depends on whether you know how to generate speed.

Personally, I have two boards, a soulcraft fang tail and a victoria factor pcx. Pure surf/pure skim. They ride totally differently from one another and each is fun in its own right. I never got any air till I got a soulcraft, but once I learned to get air I can get the skimboard airborne too.

Sorry about the confusing post. I edited it to ask specifically about surf style boards.. thanks again i have not heard of the boards you posted.

Post subject: Re: Surf style board recommendations? post Corrected!!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:31 pm 
Team Axis

Shawn gave you a lot of good information. If you can, borrow a friend's surf style board and see if it is for you. I personally prefer surf over skim but I am 230lbs and surf seem to support my weight better.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:11 am 
Team Axis

I agree with what Shawn said. I even have the same two boards as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:06 am 

buffaxis wrote:
sorry for all the info. yes the model x seems to be a hybrid it does have the surf type rear but sits low in the water. I will check out the soul craft boards thanks

Let us know your thoughts if you do get the Soul Craft!

I just ordered a Model X so I'm curious to know how they compare. I'd like to know if the Soul Craft is faster, easier to stay in the pocket and how it moves around.

Thanks!

PS: where are you guys finding Soul Crafts online?

Another PS: Has anyone tried a Soul Craft compared to Doomswell?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:12 pm 
Team Axis

There are a few dealers for soul craft but not many. I contacted Jeff and we exchanged MULTIPLE emails before he made a recommendation.

Best money I have spend on a surf board yet. I’ve had mine for 3 years now and still love riding it to this day. I’m 6ft 6in and 300lbs and his board really helped all the frustrations I was having, being a bigger guy really hampers your options when it comes to boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:31 pm 

ndahlberg12 wrote:
There are a few dealers for soul craft but not many. I contacted Jeff and we exchanged MULTIPLE emails before he made a recommendation.

Best money I have spend on a surf board yet. I’ve had mine for 3 years now and still love riding it to this day. I’m 6ft 6in and 300lbs and his board really helped all the frustrations I was having, being a bigger guy really hampers your options when it comes to boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's great to know! I'm also a bigger guy, 6 foot even and weigh 220. So as you experience, it's harder for us bigger guys getting the 'right' board. I'll definitely reach out to them if the Phase 5 Model X doesn't work well for me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:15 am 
Site Admin

Just had a custom Soul Craft show up at the shop for a customer. Great looking board. Jeff spent a number of days working with me to get this custom order setup for my buddy. We are going to sneak out of the office and he is going to ride it today or tomorrow. Something about a board built just for you that makes it special. Just hope it rides as good as it looks.