It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hull separated? Normal or not?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:49 pm 
Team Axis

My rubrail has shrunk about an inch... this happened quite a while ago but I am finally getting around to replacing it and I noticed that there is a noticeable space between where the hull pieces were stuck together. I don’t know if it is a coincidence but I am also having some gelcoat issues in the same area. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Hull separated? Normal or not?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:52 pm 
Team Axis

What type of gel coat issues are you having? If the hull is flexing, it could cause spider cracking.

You can use some permanent marine adhesive to bond it. A few rivets wouldn’t hurt either. Just make sure you chamfer any holes drilled for rivets.

https://m.acehardware.com/product/index ... thEALw_wcB

Curious, what did the new rub rail cost you?

Post subject: Re: Hull separated? Normal or not?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:44 am 
Team Axis

There is a large crack at the top of the side that goes all the way across the rail and a single crack from 1” above the rub rail up to almost the top and in line with the large crack on top. I have already contacted Malibu about the cracks but that was before i found the separation.

The rub rail was replaced under warranty almost 2 years ago but I have been very busy at work and with 2 small kids.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:48 am 
Team Axis

Easy fix.

Get a few of these:

https://www.jbweld.com/collections/fibe ... ld-syringe

Use a screwdriver to open the areas enough to get a good amount in there. Have screws or rivets ready to install in filled area. Install them and immediately scrape off the excess that comes out.

Let cure and reinstall the rub rail.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:28 am 
Team Axis

kohlieo wrote:
There is a large crack at the top of the side that goes all the way across the rail and a single crack from 1” above the rub rail up to almost the top and in line with the large crack on top. I have already contacted Malibu about the cracks but that was before i found the separation.

The rub rail was replaced under warranty almost 2 years ago but I have been very busy at work and with 2 small kids.

It's possible that you took a one time hit that caused those cracks.

Typically, if your hull is flexing a lot then you're going to get cracks that look like a spider-web.

Unfortunately, they only cover gelcoat cracks for one year. If you're handy, they're easy to fix with spectrum repair paste. There are a bunch of good tutorials floating around for that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:07 pm 
Boater

What year is your boat? I have a 2011 A20 that has hull separation. It started off with the rub rail looking like it was shrinking, then eventually I noticed I was getting water entering around the rub rail. I removed the rub rail to find out that my hull was separating from the deck to the point where it was breaking at the 90 degree flange of the joint. I'm trying to get it resolved now, but not sure how it's going to work out exactly. I only ride on calm rivers and slow down when driving over rollers, so I don't think it's anything abnormal going on. It seems to be a chemical bonding issue with mine because I can see separation throughout the entire joint and on either side of the adhesive. What I suspect is that the small separation cracks kept growing till they combined to become a large section, and then it caused too much stress on the joint, causing the joint flange to break. Watch for your hull flexing too, as spider cracks will start to show up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:25 pm 
Team Axis

Sorry to hear that you are having the same problem.

Mine is 2011 and I only pulled the rub rail off of the one side because I already needed to replace it. I have the one section that is cracked and the gelcoat is split as well. I am hoping that Malibu will see that the gelcoat is directly related to the hull separation and repair it when they fix the hull. I have submitted all of the information to the warranty department and we will just have to wait I guess.