It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Cold Water Tricks
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:54 am 
Team Axis

AJWest wrote:
Clayne100 wrote:
Our rule is 100 degrees, combined water and air temp. Below that, it’s too cold to ride.

You know, I've seen this magic "100 rule" for the last 25yrs I've been wakeboarding/wakesurfing. Someone explain how 50 air and 50 water is comfortable or "doable". How about 60 air, 40 water or 45 air, 55 water? Do these temps sound fun to anyone? The logic is not there for me and I can take cold well.

Like you said above, you heat up in your boost suit. With the right equipment, we ride from melt to freeze. And then, if the river is open maybe a trip after lake freeze. If you have the right equipment the only thing that gets cold is your hands and your face. Really not that big of a deal. Its nice going from busy lakes to having the whole thing to yourself. And to me, it helps knowing in January and February in Wisconsin that I can ride in March. If I was waiting until May, when the temps would exceed that 100 rule, I'd go crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:37 am 
Team Axis

wtstapel wrote:
AJWest wrote:
Clayne100 wrote:
Our rule is 100 degrees, combined water and air temp. Below that, it’s too cold to ride.

You know, I've seen this magic "100 rule" for the last 25yrs I've been wakeboarding/wakesurfing. Someone explain how 50 air and 50 water is comfortable or "doable". How about 60 air, 40 water or 45 air, 55 water? Do these temps sound fun to anyone? The logic is not there for me and I can take cold well.

Like you said above, you heat up in your boost suit. With the right equipment, we ride from melt to freeze. And then, if the river is open maybe a trip after lake freeze. If you have the right equipment the only thing that gets cold is your hands and your face. Really not that big of a deal. Its nice going from busy lakes to having the whole thing to yourself. And to me, it helps knowing in January and February in Wisconsin that I can ride in March. If I was waiting until May, when the temps would exceed that 100 rule, I'd go crazy.

The air temps you guys ride at using the "100 rule" are what's not fun to us southern guys. We can ride with a "130+ rule" 9 months a year so sitting in a damp/wet boat wearing hoodies, coats, and jeans isn't fun at all to us. 99% of us don't go out if we can't chill in our boardshorts or bikinis. I have respect for you northern guys for even owning a boat for yall's short season.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:50 am 
Site Admin

We are a little spoiled here in the south for sure.

I remember sponsoring a few events in the past where they had to break the ice around the boat ramp just to drop the boat in the water. I thought these guys deserve some free swag!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:18 pm 
Team Axis

admin wrote:
In my November Boardshorts thread I realized that a number of you are WAY better at cold water riding than I have ever been. The older I get of course the less I wanted to brave the cold but with a slip 5 minutes from the office now our crew has decided they want to brave the water this winter.

We all purchased some O'neill 3/2 suits. I have access to all the O'neill products but even at cost a drysuit is still a few hundred bucks. If the crew decides to ride a bunch I will probably order one but until then I figured a cheaper wetsuit would be fine.

What are your tips?

Cooler with warm water - to warm up hands and feet? Or pour down suit?
One of those surf changing hoodies?
Blankets?
Do you surf off the platform in cold weather or dock start?
Do you ride multiple sets?

This could all change as soon as one of us drops into lake Austin in Jan and realizes how cold lake Austin really gets. :)

After reading through this thread, I realized you're basically describing most of our season (which is May to October.) Our test drive in January had air of 32 and water of 32. But even in the summer, it is a rare day someone on our boat doesn't use the heater. So yes, a heater is great.

A towel doesn't cut it. Get blankets. Keep the windshield closed. Use the windscreen. When you get out of the water, get dry (take the wetsuit off) and put on dry warm clothes including a shell (i.e. ski coat/rain coat.) Wear a ski hat.

Deck starts/stops for sure. Practice them when its warm so you can do them when it isn't! I do less tricks that I'm likely to fall doing when it is really cold too.

Those showers are really nice if you have one. I think they're aftermarket only in Axis, but you can buy it standard with a malibu. Fill the suit with warm water before starting.

A 3/2 is really a fairly minimal suit. I use a 5/4 and booties when it is really cold. Keep your hands up out of the water while waiting for the boat to turn around.

Don't take kids. Don't take whiners. High tolerance for suffering is a must. Remember that water can only get so cold.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

"High tolerance for suffering is a must" <- that is great

We went out on the 21st. Sun was out and I think we had a 70 degree temp. Lake was 62. Only two boats had people in the water.

If we get any days where the sun is out we should not have a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:59 pm 
Team Axis

Just got an oneill boost a few weeks ago. The last time we rode was 2 weeks ago. Air temp 45, lake temp 48. Like others have said, only your face and hands get cold, but while youre riding you dont really pay that much attention to it. We keep our drysuits on after we get finished riding and we are driving the boat. No dock starts for us, just man up and jump in!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:24 am 
Team Axis

admin wrote:
"High tolerance for suffering is a must" <- that is great

We went out on the 21st. Sun was out and I think we had a 70 degree temp. Lake was 62. Only two boats had people in the water.

If we get any days where the sun is out we should not have a problem.

We went 22nd low 70’s (boat said upper 70’s)and 66 on boat display water , I think it was less, no suffering here , Board shorts and a long sleeve rash, when you got up it was very warm with zero chill and the wind was howling against us. Wife was smart and wore a 1mm no sleeve top under her 3.2, and she wore her impact vest that hugs and is longer, made a great set, got in boat

With the lowering of the jet stream and our trip to Breck in January , I suspect my boat buddy will make us wait till February snd means we’ll miss January 2 years in a row

We’re averaging 150/yr plus 120 for 3 years on others boats(were usually never in the water before 1:45-2:30 and we leave at dusk to avoid mosquitos - we never have a “day” on the water and 85% of time or more it’s just surfer and driver racking those hours- hit the water ride and surf go home- no boat riding) love the South and every one on forum welcome to experience feb, mar, April (jazz fest) when y’all are still frozen , we wore shorts all last March

We made our Xmas trip the previous year on Monday the 27th which was the holiday last year, we seem to always get that Xmas warm window, and then it changes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:18 pm 
Boater

New Year’s Day in the northwest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:25 pm 
Team Axis

Went canyoneering last week in water with ice in it and learned a few new tricks. I was NOT cold at all. I used a 5 mil suit, 2 mil neo shorts, 2 mil neo short, 5 mil booties, a neo hood (which was overkill), a shell jacket and a neo life jacket over it. Also, wear kitchen/chemical gloves under neo gloves and tuck the sleeves into the wet suit so your hands don't get wet/flushed. You could ride all winter like that if you wanted to. Very surprised how warm it was.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:31 am 
Site Admin

Clayne100 - 40 and 44! That is some serious commitment.