It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Are these temps dangerous?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:13 pm 
Team Axis

I was planning to take my boat for winterization and service next Monday but I see this weekend temps are dropping. It looks like 31 one night and 28 another and hen back up to fifty’s. Could this cause damage before I winterize it? I didn’t think it could since it’s not like 24 hours straight at those temps but just want to be sure?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Are these temps dangerous?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:45 pm 
Team Axis

Brian5366 wrote:
I was planning to take my boat for winterization and service next Monday but I see this weekend temps are dropping. It looks like 31 one night and 28 another and hen back up to fifty’s. Could this cause damage before I winterize it? I didn’t think it could since it’s not like 24 hours straight at those temps but just want to be sure?

Thanks!

It'll probably be fine, but no guarantee from me just like the shop won't guarantee it! Bear in mind a forecast is just that. They could say 28 and have it be 21! You could use a space heater or something if it is very temporary.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:19 pm 
Team Axis

Brian5366 wrote:

Thanks!
Really the concern is how loing it will be cold.. mine has sat out into the 20s at night but it warms up to the 60s during the day. On the flipside if it was 30 for 24 hours I would be much more concerned.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:44 pm 
Team Axis

SomeYeahoo wrote:
Brian5366 wrote:

Thanks!

It'll probably be fine, but no guarantee from me just like the shop won't guarantee it! Bear in mind a forecast is just that. They could say 28 and have it be 21! You could use a space heater or something if it is very temporary.

I have put a shop light under the block numerous times in the spring and fall when temps get a little below freezing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:03 am 
Site Admin

I have heard so many horror stories about lights and heaters.... and then I have heard so many stories about not using them....

Is there a safe space heater made just for engines?

In central Texas I bet I would only need a little heat less than 2 times a winter.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:11 am 
Boater

In a past life I built a reptile habitat that had a heat lamp with an in-line thermostat to control when the light came on. You could do the same. Put the thermostat inside the engine compartment and set the temp down to something like 35 so it only comes on when you need it. And depending on how small the engine bay is, you could probably get away with a standard 60 or 100 watt bulb. They make a surprising amount of heat. Food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:32 am 
Team Axis

Brian5366 wrote:

Thanks!

Are you in Southern Missouri/Northern Arkansas - cause that's exactly my dilemma. My boat is still on the lift, and our dock does not have power so no chance of a space heater/light bulb. High of 50 today. Predicted 32 low with about 2 hours duration tonight. High of 50 tomorrow. Predicted low of 30 for about 5 hours tomorrow night/Sunday morning. Bearing in mind, it was 80 yesterday. I can't get the boat in for winterization until Monday. Based on some graphs I saw on WakeWorld, or something like that when I googled it earlier in the week, it takes an extended period of cold to get the block down below freezing. Plan is to pull the boat on Sunday and bring it back from the lake. UGH. . .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:06 am 
Site Admin

MULake

I think you are in a must winterize zone.

I'm in Central Texas and was surfing last week in boardshorts. YMMV but I have heard it takes a few days of below freezing to cause damage.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:26 am 
Team Axis

The opinion of the people I ride with around here (Wisconsin) is you need extended periods of 20s/below to do damage. One night should not be sufficient to freeze the block. My buddy still has his Xstar sitting above the lake here. The water is still warmer than the air and gives off heat.
To avoid issue I keep my boat in my garage with a remote thermostat that reads out in the house. The opinion of my buddies is great and all but knowing makes me feel much better.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:10 pm 
Team Axis

admin wrote:
MULake

I think you are in a must winterize zone.

I'm in Central Texas and was surfing last week in boardshorts. YMMV but I have heard it takes a few days of below freezing to cause damage.

No doubt I'm in must winterize zone, and that's always been my MO. It just depends on the time of year. This year, we've gotten into late October without a hard freeze, which is unusual. I know about winterizations - we bought a used SeaRay ten years ago, or so. Memorial Day - went for the test ride before handing over the check, and a few minutes into the ride, alarms start going off, and steam starts coming out. Owner had done a poor job winterizing. Got a new block out of it.

This year, timing is the issue due to travel. I'd stick a block heater in there, but can't run a generator all night. I'm relatively comfortable that a night or two just below freezing, with decent daytime temps, and the boat sitting on the dock won't result in a cracked block. But it's still a bit of a butt-clencher. . .