It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Mice in boat!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:28 pm 
Boater

We keep our boat in a shop type building on my brother land in the off season. Last winter we had a couple mice in the boat for a few days.
Does anyone have any tips on how to keep critters out of your boat while in storage?

Post subject: Re: Mice in boat!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:44 am 
Team Axis

If the cover is on tight how are they getting in? Boats are pretty mice-proof sitting there on a trailer aren't they? I mean, they're not coming in the drain hole and they're not chewing through the gel coat, so that leaves over the top as the only way in. Tighten that cover down and make sure there's no way for them to jump onto the cover from anywhere else and you should be good to go, no?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:26 am 
Boater

SomeYeahoo wrote:
If the cover is on tight how are they getting in? Boats are pretty mice-proof sitting there on a trailer aren't they? I mean, they're not coming in the drain hole and they're not chewing through the gel coat, so that leaves over the top as the only way in. Tighten that cover down and make sure there's no way for them to jump onto the cover from anywhere else and you should be good to go, no?

We have a generic cover. It's not a good cover and isn't right around the bottom. They chewed a hole threw the cover last year.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:46 am 
Team Axis

Dryer sheets and a lot of them. I used to keep my stuff in a pole barn that had some mice. Something about the smell of dryer sheets they don’t like. I put them all over the place in my boat and RV. Plus it helped make it smell good in the the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:11 am 
Boater

ndahlberg12 wrote:
Dryer sheets and a lot of them. I used to keep my stuff in a pole barn that had some mice. Something about the smell of dryer sheets they don’t like. I put them all over the place in my boat and RV. Plus it helped make it smell good in the the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genius! I'll give it a try! Thanks a ton!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:29 pm 
Team Axis

Sounds crazy but wrap aluminum foil around the edge of the boat (covering the seam between cover and fiberglass) the little bastards hate foil and will not walk on it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:27 pm 
Team Axis

I second the dryer sheets. We take it a step further though. We cut up Irish Spring bar soap and put a square inch of that on every dryer sheet and haven't had any critters ever. Three bars cut up with as many dryer sheets and you are good to go. Opening the boat in spring is usually an assault on the nostrils, but that airs out in a day. Just remember where you have all your pieces of bar soap, forgot one a few years back and found it mid summer and was some serious elbow grease to get it off.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:17 pm 
Team Axis

cbray4 wrote:
SomeYeahoo wrote:

We have a generic cover. It's not a good cover and isn't right around the bottom. They chewed a hole threw the cover last year.

Now that sucks. How about some traps around the boat? A tub of peanut butter and a half dozen mousetraps checked once a week is pretty cheap and easy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:12 am 

Another thing you can do is get some bait stations and place them around (inside and out) the garage etc. they eat the bait and then meet their fate. I have had issues around my house in the past, but after using these things, all is good. Google rodent bait stations and you'll find what you need. For the bait I recommend contrac.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:24 am 

Another thing you can do is get some bait stations and place them around (inside and out) the garage etc. They eat the bait and then meet their fate. I have had issues around my house in the past, but after using these things, all is good. Google rodent bait stations and you'll find what you need. For the bait I recommend contrac.