It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New 2017 A20 purchase
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:07 am 
Team Axis

I did. There is no power on the side coming from the boat harness. Its strange to me that i can find fuses or resets for everything but the stereo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: New 2017 A20 purchase
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:11 am 
Boater

Saw you purchased your A20 from Chessie Marine. I also bought my 15 A20 from Chessie. Andy was great to work with in ordering our boat. He even set up a factory tour for us which I highly recommend.

I hope you have better luck with the service department then I have at Chessie. I haven't been back in 2 years because of problems with them fixing issues from the start with our boat. Once had my boat sitting outside for 5 months the first winter and my cover paid the price. Still didn't fix the issues.

I have to agree for what this boat cost the fit and finish and issues I have had since day 1 with it have a lot to be desired.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:24 pm 
Team Axis

stew7962 wrote:
Saw you purchased your A20 from Chessie Marine. I also bought my 15 A20 from Chessie. Andy was great to work with in ordering our boat. He even set up a factory tour for us which I highly recommend.

I hope you have better luck with the service department then I have at Chessie. I haven't been back in 2 years because of problems with them fixing issues from the start with our boat. Once had my boat sitting outside for 5 months the first winter and my cover paid the price. Still didn't fix the issues.

I have to agree for what this boat cost the fit and finish and issues I have had since day 1 with it have a lot to be desired.

I just saw his reply. It hasnt been a great experience so far with them. They took my boat November 30th to take care of the issues and they still have it. Apparently its at the gelcoat shop now getting the exterior taken care of. It had terrible scratches and swirl marks, which chessie said was from the factory. They also havent been very informative about what they were doing to it. How it comes back will determine if i take it there again. Where are you located by the way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:23 am 
Boater

I'll be interested to see how you make out. I also had scratches that needed fixed. A couple from the factory and 2 from my lift. I asked for prices on fixing the my fault ones while they had it and the pricing was terrible. $700 a piece. They weren't that deep. I ended up learning to wet sand myself and took care of them.

When I went for my 20 hour service they didn't know I was coming. I had scheduled it and verified twice thru email. They did get me in and out pretty quick though as I was waiting. When doing the 20 hour service they said I had a ground wire loose on the alternator. When I got it home I ended up with a squeal thru the rear speaking when the engine was on. Dealt with it for the rest of the summer.

Took it in for winterizing that first winter and wanted the squeal fixed, scratches fixed, couple of other minor issues including a tail light not working. Just the outer part of the let light, the brakes and flashers worked on that side. Dropped it off in the beginning of Oct. The beginning of December only thing done is winterize. Finally picked it up the end of Feb. everything supposed to be done including the scratches they covered under warranty. Cover was a mess as it was outside the whole time getting snowed on and such. Guess I should have checked over everything before I left but just wanted to get in home into the garage.

Got home put it in the garage. Beginning of April pull it out and fire it up. Squeal still there in stereo. Looked at trailer light still out. Call them up not real happy. They did send someone to pick it up and take it back down at no charge. Of course they had someone bringing a boat back to my development that paid them to come up this way. I live in East Berlin PA on a small lake called Lake Meade. They took it back down to finish fixing things. They replaced everything that had to do with the stereo, head unit, amps, put filters in. Nothing fixed it. I had been telling them the whole time it started at 20 service when you messed with the Starter. It ended up being a bad starter. They replaced it and no problems. The trailer light ended up being a connection that had corrosion on it. Picked up boat and brought it home.

I get a bill in the mail for $200 for fixing the trailer. I called and they said corrosion isn't covered under warranty. I go on to say how can it be corroded that quick. I picked it up in April, put it in the water, pulled it for the 20 service, put it back in and pulled it the end of summer to bring down to winterize. The trailer sat in my garage the whole time. It was 6 months old and you didn't fix it the first time I had it in. He then went on to say how much time the spent fixing my stereo with tearing everything apart and swapping parts out. I said that is on you as I said every time I spoke with you it was tied to the alternator you all messed with. Maybe should have started there and saved a lot of time. So I have not been back since. I don't trust their organizational skills there and don't want my boat sitting outside for months at a time in winter weather. Plus I'm not sure if they wouldn't try and stick the $200 I refused to pay them onto my bill. They were very nice to me up until that point and then the service manager got irritated to say the least. Not sure what I will do if I need work done to it I can't do myself. There are really not any Malibu/Axis dealers close to me. Plus I know another dealer isn't going to be happy repairing a boat I didn't buy there from what I have heard. We have local mechanic that works on inboards so will try him first. Right now I have been taking care of winterizing and have been able to fix and replace the things that need done. Not like it came with a great warranty to start with in 2015.

Long winded response to you but wanted to let you know how things went. I really liked dealing with them thru the sale and always were very nice until I wouldn't pay a bill I shouldn't have been charged.

I really hope your experience ends up better then mine. I will say I probably would not buy another Malibu/Axis product with my experience with this one from a service and quality standpoint. Which sucks because it is so darn good looking.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:57 am 
Team Axis

Yeah. I totally see your frustration. Hopefully they get me squared away. I told the service manager if they dont make it right I'll be taking it to another axis dealer. Whats also frustrating is that I bought my boat from Andy in late October. Not once after I picked it up did he call and ask how things were going. I find that surprising after spending 65k on a boat. I mean shit, I get calls everytime from my car salesman after I buy a new vehicle. Not sure I understand that. I bet had I bought a G23 he would call once a week to check in. How do you like the boat otherwise? So far Im please with mine from a performance stand point. I got full PnP now and Im adding about 300 pounds of the lead before the season starts. I also got all new Wetsounds stuff going in. Now I just need to get rid of the crappy stock fixed racks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:32 pm 
Boater

I did not here from Andy either after purchase. Which considering I am in the auto business was somewhat disconcerting. I always follow up with my customers after a sale and keep in contact with them thru birthday and christmas cards. I do think they could improve that side of the business also. They don't sell that many boats per year they couldn't keep up with personal customer contacts not just generic emails. If I saw him at a boat show he would take the time and talk though.

Other then thinking there is a lack of quality in the boat I like it. I think it is terrible in rough water. I have tried running with the center tank and my front arrow bag full and it helps but still bouncing too much at any kind of speed. I guess that's the disadvantage of going to a V-drive after having 2 Supra regular inboards. It surfs great for a small boat. I have 750's in the rear and the arrow bag up front. I ordered it with sound pack 2 and upgraded the amp and put Polk speakers thru out. I get lots of compliments on it being all black/Black metallic so that always makes us feel good. To be honest if Supra/Moomba came out with a 20' boat I would be all over it as I know that dealer very well, having bought 2 from them in the 90's early 2000's and would go back in a heartbeat. He still keeps in touch and I haven't bought a boat from him in 10 years.

Where do you boat at?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:12 am 
Team Axis

Yeah, I looked at a couple moomba at Stews in Pa before pulling the trigger on my a20. Honestly, I liked the moombas, but the boats had factory installed snap mooring covers and I hate have the snaps on the top deck of the boat. Doesnt Moomba make two 20 footers? Also i think surfgate is far superior than trim tabs for surfing. Is lake meade private? I looked it up. Its about 3 hours from me. We go to lake Anna a couple times a year and thats about 4 hours. We usually boat on the rivers that lead to chesapeake bay. Not as nice as bigger lakes but we enjoy it alot. This is my first real towboat. First and last boat was a I/O glastron 205. Huge upgrade from a 15k boat to this one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:00 am 
Boater

Never dealt with Stews. Are they a new boat dealer? We always bought Supra's from Performance boats in Boonesboro MD. Moomba did make a 20 footer but don't any longer. Unfortunately we are limited to 20' or under on v-drives. Can't even be 1" over. Yes we are a private Lake. Must own property to use it. Its about 300 acres with about 1100 homes but a lot of them don't even own boats. I've never boated on Lake Anna but did buy 2 JC pontoons from Sturgeon Creek Marina there. Seems like a really nice place but heard it gets terribly crowded on weekends. You will definitely enjoy your Axis for water sports over the Glastron. Let me know what you think of it in rougher water. I've always had to slow down so much when coming up on boat wake or bigger waves.