It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Questions about weight of T23
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:42 am 
Boater

Hey guys! First post here... I have been over on MalibuCrew a bit. I have been reading this forum for a while researching the Axis brand as we have been wanting to upgrade and Axis was in the forefront of our search. We are coming form a 2001 Malibu VLX.

So my family is just getting into a new(to us) 2016 T23. What is everyone's boat weighing in at with gear and everything in it. Obviously not filled ballast or anything, just anchor, jackets, fuel, tools, and all the other stuff we all keep in our boats.

I am asking because our lift is a 5K pound lift I think. I am wondering if we will need to upgrade or if we will be good with this lift. Dry weight is said to be 4200lbs I think is what I saw.

I am thinking we will be pushing it with all the gear on the boat.

Post subject: Re: Questions about weight of T23
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:17 pm 
Boater

Another question that is relevant here and more people could chime in on. What size lift does everyone use for their boats? What boat and what size lift?

I believe our lift now is 5,000lbs and we have our 2001 21 VLX on it. We keep everything full on it now because we fill our ballast manually and don't want to fill everyday. We have 400's in the rear lockers and 2 150's in the front, we leave them full all the time and I feel like the lift does fine. We put the boat up for the night one time with an additional 800lb sack in the floor right in front of the back seat. The lift looked like it was sagging a little in the rear when we put it up that evening but still got the boat totally out of the water. 

Give me some ideas of what you guys have that work for your boats. 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:17 pm 
Team Axis

If you fill ballast the way most of us do your boat will be 7k lbs or more I'd say your pushing a 5k lift empty with any newer boat 22' or more

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:57 am 
Boater

dustinjean wrote:
If you fill ballast the way most of us do your boat will be 7k lbs or more I'd say your pushing a 5k lift empty with any newer boat 22' or more

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I agree! I am thinking we will need to upgrade our lift to a 6,000lb lift to be safe. Maybe 6,500lb for good measure.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:47 pm 
Team Axis

5000 seems pretty risky. My 2015 I thought weighed 4500 lbs dry. Maybe that's what the trailer is rated for. Add in a full tank of gas (67 gallons x what, 6-7 lbs a gallon) = another 500 lbs. Add some water weight still in the bags and carpet and couple hundred pounds of stuff and you're already there.

This from a guy who puts another 1500+ lbs in it and trailers it 6 hours to the lake.

I think a lift upgrade is a good idea.

The good news is that it is so easy to fill/empty the ballast on a 2016 T23 that you'll never put it up full of water like you're doing now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:07 am 
Boater

SomeYeahoo wrote:
5000 seems pretty risky. My 2015 I thought weighed 4500 lbs dry. Maybe that's what the trailer is rated for. Add in a full tank of gas (67 gallons x what, 6-7 lbs a gallon) = another 500 lbs. Add some water weight still in the bags and carpet and couple hundred pounds of stuff and you're already there.

This from a guy who puts another 1500+ lbs in it and trailers it 6 hours to the lake.

I think a lift upgrade is a good idea.

The good news is that it is so easy to fill/empty the ballast on a 2016 T23 that you'll never put it up full of water like you're doing now.

Agreed! It will be such an easier process! A lift upgrade is what I am thinking also. There is no way around it...